Chapter 50

Chapter 50

     “Before we get started,” Edward stated quietly, “I need to talk to Isabella.” He paused, his lips folded into a thin line, obviously upset about something. “In private,” he added in a tight voice.

     “Of course,” I replied, placing my hand in his and squeezing it comfortingly.

     But he didn’t squeeze it back as usual. And he was not looking at me; in fact, he seemed to deliberately avoid my eyes.

     Jasper looked at us knowingly; he must be quite aware of Edward’s emotions. “Why don’t you take Bella for a short walk, Edward?”

     Yes, privacy would be a good idea, given how upset Edward seemed.

     Edward nodded stiffly. “We’ll be back soon.” He began to turn away but was stopped by Eleazar’s restraining hand on his chest.

     Looking at my fiancé oddly, Eleazar addressed him quietly but firmly. “Please return quickly, Edward. As you know, we have much to accomplish.”

     Edward nodded again, his lips folding into an even thinner line as he led me toward the door. His set jaw, unemotional expression, and refusal to look at me provided a huge red flag warning that something serious was brewing beneath his apparently calm exterior.

     As we left, I glanced over my shoulder at Jasper in confusion; he gave me a nod of encouragement accompanied by a small smile, both of which helped to calm me down a little as Edward escorted me out the back door.

      Still holding hands, we reached the pathway beside the river. Edward’s eyes seemed transfixed by the rushing water as he asked, “May we run? I would prefer to have this discussion out of earshot of the family, and we haven’t much time to spare.” His strained formality and his cold demeanor were beginning to frighten me.

     Then a possible reason for Edward’s apparent coolness struck me so hard that I could barely take in a breath. 

     Perhaps he had decided that he wants to be with Tanya instead of me after all?    As much as I hated to think it, unfortunately that supposition seemed to explain his refusal to even look at me, along with his formal yet awkward mood.

     “Sure,” I choked out, obviously upset by this thought.

     Giving me a quizzical look but averting his eyes as soon as I looked back, Edward began to run, and my newborn strength helped me to keep up with him as we flashed down the path, still holding hands. Mere seconds later, we passed the rock formation where we had held our previous conversation. As I had thought that this spot would be his destination, I asked in confusion, “Where are we going?”

     “To a place that I happened upon when we first came here,” he answered, not looking at me, his words still stiff and awkward.

     We continued running through the darkness that was not really “dark” to us; the shading of purples, midnight blues, and violets made the forest truly a place of beauty and mystery at night—but I filed my poetic observations away in the back of my mind as my main concern remained whatever Edward was so tense about…whatever he had to discuss with me.

     Convulsively I swallowed, trying to control my emotions and assume the vampiric poker face that seemed so useful to my new family members. Although I had yet to practice it much yet, I knew that now was the time to employ it.

     Obviously I did not want Edward to feel guilty for whatever he had to tell me…especially if it was regarding his preference for the gorgeous vampire with strawberry blonde curls and tawny eyes—eyes so unlike my disgusting scarlet irises, an unfortunate result of my own blood still in my system (apparently remaining so for the first year after the change) but also providing Edward with a constant reminder of what I had become.