Chapter 56

Okay, here’s the longest chapter in PbF as well as the last regular chapter! Enjoy!

Chapter 56

     I’m not sure how long I sat there on the floor, feeling quite sorry for myself. Here it was my wedding night, and I was alone.

     And my brand new husband was planning to marry another woman—a rather demented one at that—in a very short time.

     Well, Tanya was either completely and utterly delusional…or she was incredibly devious and somehow had every single vampire in our family wrapped around her little finger.

     But how could she fool Edward? And Jasper? And even Alice?

     I mean, they were not only vampires but extremely gifted vampires. So how could Tanya pull the proverbial wool over the eyes of a mind-reader, an empath, and a seer of the future?

     Wait a minute….

     I combed my perfect memory for the tiny details that might shed some light on all of the frickin’ weirdness going on in my family at the moment….

     When Tanya appeared, Alice and Rosalie had both looked angry…at least at first, so why did they change their reactions to Tanya’s arrival so quickly and absolutely?

     Hmmmmmm….

     Something was not right with this Tanya situation…something besides the fact that I was alone on my wedding night, throwing myself a spectacular pity party. If I were still human, I would be downing chocolate by the pound and wine by the bottle….

     Sighing, I got to my feet and, stepping over the shredded remains of my wedding gown scattered across the wooden floor, entered the main room of our cottage. My eyes took in the beautiful stained glass, the stone fireplace, the cases full of books—all the cozy ingredients of a perfect little love nest.

     No matter what happened tonight, we would be leaving all this behind shortly in order to avoid Billy’s and the Quileutes’ revenge for taking out all of the pack, except for Seth of course. But Billy and the Quileutes would doubtlessly start spreading rumors of some kind about us, so leaving was undoubtedly the best solution.

     I sighed again, saddened at the thought of leaving the only place I had ever lived. Edward had plans for us in the morning—secret plans for a honeymoon that he, grinning with suppressed excitement, had refused to divulge.

     Secret plans that probably did not include me any longer.

     I sighed again, wishing that I could wave a magic wand and return us all to the wedding before Tanya appeared—to the complete and utter joy of Edward and I, pledging our hearts, souls, and lives to one another.