#6 (Y/N): Together

I opened my eyes after having a good night sleep.

The rest of yesterday is still in my head and I can't stop feeling guilty about it.

If only I would have believed him sooner...I saw how these zombies act but he proved to be trustworthy.

Right on time the main door opened and he came from around the corner, wearing my backpack.

"Hey, you're already up. I borrowed your backpack to get more supplies. I hope it's okay..."

I smiled at him. He really sounds innocent despite his appearance.

"It's alright."

He placed the backpack on a nearby counter and emptied it out. He got more food cans for me and once he finished unpacking he went over to me, handing me my backpack.

"Here, it's yours. Don't worry, everything's still in there."

I chuckled at his words and took the backpack from him.

He then went towards his shotgun and examined it, making me realize something.

I still don't know his name...How would we be able to team up, if I don't know his name? I can't keep calling him zombie dude...

"Hey, what's your name?"

He looked at me with his eyes, the only part visible on his face because of his mask. I think he was smiling. Then he turned back to the shotgun...

"Ryder...I'm Ryder. Ryder Odison. And you?"

"Y/N...Y/N L/N"

I said the last part while sighing in sadness. He noticed it and approached me, crouching down before me, observing my gaze.

"Are you okay?"

"I guess...It's hard living all alone...wearing that name."

I almost began crying again but he hugged me as if to stop me on time.

"I understand. This must be a lot to deal with. You're not alone anymore."

"I know...it's been so long since someone actually cared for me. You know...I'm grateful."

"Grateful for having a zombie look after you?"

He playfully formed that sentence and that made me giggle.

"Doesn't matter. You're not like them. I'm sorry for not noticing that sooner..."

"Like I said, you had your reasons. You shouldn't beat yourself up over that. We all make mistakes, right?"

I looked to my right and saw the gun still lying there from yesterday. I recalled what happened. I almost shot him but I didn't...I sighed in relief and he followed my gaze.

"Tell me one thing..."

I looked to him.

"What?"

His gaze through his mask changed as if he was curious.

"Why didn't you shoot, when you had the chance?"

I looked down and sighed.

"Sorry...I shouldn't have asked. How stupid of me..."

"No...It's just...I understood your point of view. I realized there was no point in shooting you."

"Listen. I'm sorry for what happened to you. That's what I've been trying to tell you before you ran from me. I knew you from the beginning as you looked at me with those cold eyes...I'm so sorry about your loss...but you have to move on. Your parents will always be with you and they wouldn't want you to sink into depression..."