Sirius Black

Professor Dumbledore sent Amie and the rest of the Gryffindor's back to the Great hall, and ten minutes later the students from the other houses showed up. Everyone looked confused.

"The teachers and I need to conduct a thorough search of the castle," Dumbledore said as McGonagall and Flitwick closed the doors of the hall. "I'm afraid that, for your own safety, you will have to spend the night here. I want the prefects to stand guard over the entrances to the hall and I am leaving the Head Boy and Girl in charge. Any disturbance should be reported to me immediately," he added to Percy. "Send word with one of the ghosts."

Dumbledore started to leave, but --

"Oh, yes, you'll be needing..."

He flicked his wand and the tables flew to the edges of the hall against the wall. Another flick, and the room was filled with sleeping bags.

"Sleep well." said Dumbledore before he left.

Everyone began talking at once, the Gryffindor's were telling the rest of the students about what happened.

"Everyone into their sleeping bags!" shouted Percy. "Come on, now, no more talking! Lights out in ten minutes!"

"C'mon." Ron said, and they all grabbed sleeping bags and walked over to a corner.

"Do you think Black's still in the castle?" Hermione whispered anxiously.

"Dumbledore obviously thinks he might be." said Ron.

"I think he's just making sure, you know? If I was Sirius Black I would be far away from here now, but you never know." Amie said.

"It's very lucky he picked tonight, you know?" Hermione said as they got in their sleeping bags. "The one night we weren't in the tower..."

"I think you've got something there, Hermione:" Amie said thoughtfully.

"I reckon he's lost track of time, being on the run," Ron said. "Didn't realize it was Halloween. Otherwise he'd have come bursting in here."

Hermione shuddered.

"I don't think so, Ron. Attacking Harry in Hogsmeade is one thing; you have escaping options. But if he would have come in here, in the Great hall, there would have been teachers and students here. I don't care how many Muggles he killed, he would never triumph over Dumbledore and the teachers." Amie said confidentely. Hermione, Harry and Ron went quiet, they didn't seem to know what to say. Around the hall people was still talking, and they had entered the subject of how he managed to get into Hogwarts.

"Maybe he knows how to Apparate," said a Ravenclaw a few feet away. Amie scoffed. "Just appear out of thin air, you know."

"Disguised himself, probably." said a Hufflepuff.

"He could've flown in," suggested Dean Thomas.

"Honestly, am I the only person who's ever bothered to read Hogwarts, A History?" Hermione said.

"Hey!" Amie said, affronted.

"Okay, and Amie." Hermione agreed.

"Probably, why?" said Ron.

"Because the castle's protected by more than walls, you know? There are all sorts of enchantments on it, to stop people entering from stealth. You can't just Apparate in here. And I'd like to see the disguise that could fool those dementors. They're guarding every single entrance to the grounds. They'd have seen him fly in too. And Filch knows all the secret passages, they'll have them covered..."

"The lights are going out now!" Percy interrupted Hermione's rant. "I want everyone in their sleeping bags and no more talking!"

All the candles went out, and they descended into almost darkness. The ghosts were floating around, and they had an eerie glow to them. It was almost like having a night light. Despite Percy's words, people were still talking, but in hushed voices. Amie was thinking -- if Black was after Harry, why was he trying to enter Gryffindor tower? He must have noticed that no one was in the corridors, and it was too early for everyone to be cooped up in their common rooms. And even if he did think Harry was in there, why would he want to kill him in front of everyone? Wouldn't it be much easier to just wait close to an entrance and, whenever Harry walked out, kill him then? And how did he enter the castle? Amie's head was spinning, and she realized that no answers would come to her in there. She needed air, and she knew how to get it. Everyone was asleep by now, so Amie used her metamorphmagus abilities to morph her skintone into a very dark colour. She did the same with her eyes so they wouldn't glow in the darkness. Thankfully her clothes were already black, so they already blended in. Amie rose to her feet and looked around for Nearly-Headless Nick. When she found him, she quickly walked up to him.