The truth

The four of them were frozen with shock. They had actually killed Buckbeak! Amie couldn't comprehend it -- it was horrible. Then, a wild howling pierced the silent night.

"Hagrid," said Harry, and then he swung under the cloak, as if he would run back to Hagrid. Amie and Hermione seized his arms.

"We can't," Ron said. "He'll be in worse trouble if they know we've been to see him..."

Ron was very pale, and Hermione's breathing was uneven.

"How -- could -- they?" she choked. "How could they?"

"Poor Hagrid," Amie said, tears falling from her eyes.

"Come on," said Ron, who's teeth were chattering.

They started walking to the castle again, and by the time they reached open ground, darkness was upon them.

"Scabbers, keep still," said Ron, clamping a hand over his chest-pocket. The "rat" was squirming around wildly. Ron stopped suddenly, trying to force Scabbers deeper into his pocket. "What's the matter with you, you stupid rat? Stay still -- OUCH! He bit me!"

"Ron, be quiet!" Hermione whispered urgently. "Fudge'll be out here in a minute --"

"He won't -- stay -- put --"

Scabbers was wriggling desperately, trying to break free.

"What's the matter with him?"

That's when Amie saw Crookshanks sneaking up on them in the darkness. They had never found out if the Cloak worked on cats, but Scabbers was making enough noise to blow their cover anyways.

"Crookshanks!" Hermione moaned. "No, go away, Crookshanks! Go away!"

The cat came closer and closer.

"Scabbers -- NO!"

The rat slipped from Ron's fingers, fell to the ground and scampered away. Amie swore loudly. Crookshanks ran after him immediately, for which Amie was thankful. Ron threw off the Invisibility Cloak and ran after his pet into the darkness.

"Ron!" Hermione moaned.

Amie, Hermione and Harry looked at each other before running after Ron, taking the Cloak off as they ran. They could hear him ahead, shouting at Crookshanks.

"Get away from him -- get away -- Scabbers, come here --"

There was a thud.

"Gotcha! Get off, you stinking cat --"

Amie, Hermione and Harry almost fell over Ron, he appeared so suddenly in front of them. He was laying on the ground, and Scabbers was back in his pocket.

"Ron -- come on back under the Cloak --" Hermione panted. "Dumbledore -- the Minister -- they'll be coming back out in a minute --"

Before they could cover themselves up, they heard gigantic paws running towards them. Out of the darkness came a familiar figure -- Sirius in dog form. Harry took out his wand, but Sirius jumped in the air and landed on Harry's chest, sending Harry flying to the ground. Sirius rolled off Harry, and while Harry tried to stand up, Sirius was growling and trying to find out what to do next. Ron was back on his feet, so Sirius pushed Harry aside and clenched his jaws around Ron's arm. Harry tried to catch Sirius by grabbing hold of his fur, but Sirius dragged Ron away easily.

Amie looked at Harry, and saw him be hit by a branch in his face. Her stomach dropped, and just then she was also knocked off her feet. Her air was punched out of her, and when she looked up from the ground, Harry had ignited his wand, and Amie saw the Whomping Willow. At the trunk of the tree was Sirius, dragging Ron behind him. He entered the tunnel. Amie shook her head in disbelief at Sirius behavior. Really, did he think this would help his case?