A murderer and Dementors

Dinner at the Cauldron was splendid. All the Weasley's plus Amie, Harry and Hermione sat together by three tables.

"How're we getting to King's Cross tomorrow, Dad?" asked Fred when they started eating chocolate pudding.

"The Ministry's providing a couple of cars." answered Mr. Weasley.

Everyone looked up and stared at him.

"Why?" asked Percy.

"It's because of you, Perce." said George with a straight face. "And there'll be little flags on the hoods, with HB on them --"

"-- for Humongous Bighead." ended Fred.

Everyone except Percy and Mrs Weasley snorted through the pudding. Amie giggled a bit.

"Why are the Ministry providing cars, Father?" Percy pressed on, ignoring everyone.

"Well, as we haven't got one anymore," said Mr. Weasley. "and as I work there, they're doing me a favor...." he said it casually, but something made Amie believe he wasn't being truthful.

"Good thing, too." said Mrs. Weasley. "Do you realize how much luggage you've all got between you? A nice sight you'd be on the Muggle Underground... You are all packed, aren't you?"

"Ron hasn't put all his new things in his trunk yet." Percy blabbed. "He's dumped them on my bed."

"You'd better go and pack properly, Ron, because we won't have much time in the morning." Mrs Weasley said. Ron glared at Percy.

After dinner everyone made their way up to their rooms. Amie already had all of her things packed, so she followed Harry and helped him with the last of his packing. When they were done they heard shouting from the room next to Harry's.

"Let's go see what they're arguing about now." Amie said, having recognized Ron's and Percy's voices. They found the room open, and Ron and Percy were staring angrily at each other.

"It was here, on the bedside table, I took it off for polishing --" shouted Percy.

"I haven't touched it, all right!" yelled Ron.

"What's up?" asked Harry, and Amie shook her head with a smile.

Percy spun around and stared at them.

"My Head Boy badge is gone." he said helplessly.

"So's Scabbers rat tonic." said Ron, throwing things out of his trunk. "I think I might've left it in the bar."

"You're not going anywhere till you've found my badge!" roared Percy.

"I'll get Scabbers stuff, I'm packed." said Harry and started going downstairs. Amie followed him - she didn't want to stay with Percy and Ron alone. When Amie and Harry were almost in the dining room, they heard two more angry voices, and they belonged to Mr. and Mrs Weasley. They were arguing in the parlor, and Harry's name was brought up, making Amie and Harry stop and listen.

"...makes no sense not to tell him!" yelled Mr. Weasley. "Harry's got a right to know. I've tried to tell Fudge, but he insists on treating Harry like a child. He's thirteen years old and --"

"Arthur, the truth would terrify him!" Mrs Weasley said. "Do you really want to send him back to school with that hanging over his head? For heaven's sake, he's happy not knowing!"

"I don't want to make him miserable, I want to put him on his guard!" said Mr. Weasley. "You know what Harry and Ron are like, wandering off by themselves -- they've ended up in the Forbidden Forest twice! But Harry mustn't do that this year! When I think what could have happened to him that night when he ran away from home! If the Knight Bus hadn't picked him up, I'm prepared to bet he would have been dead before the Ministry found him!"