Schooldays

Soon DADA was everyone's favorite subject, and Professor Lupin was the favorite teacher. To Amie's annoyance, Draco and some other Slytherin's didn't like him.

"Look at the state of his robes," Draco said to some friends as Lupin walked by. "He dresses like our old house elf."

Amie would send him stern looks whenever he said something like that, but he always ignored her - Amie knew it was because he couldn't change his behavior because of her, it'd be suspiscious. But Amie made him apologize for it every time they met. That way, their relationship was still going strong. Amie had decided that she didn't want Draco's attitude towards others to break them up, he was so sweet when it was just them. Thankfully, no one except the Slytherin's cared about how Lupin looked, and the next lessons were all really interesting. They studied Red Caps and Kappas.

Potions wasn't going as well as DADA. Snape had found out about Neville's Boggart, and he was being bullied even more than he used to. Snape's eyes also flashed every time someone mentioned Lupin in his prescence.

Divinations was one of Amie's best subjects at the moment -- not because she liked the subject or Trelawney, but because she had made several true predictions. Trelawney was very impressed with her, and usually wanted Amie to predict something every class. It was quite dull, but she put up with it to take the focus off of Harry. Trelawney always got tears in her eyes when she looked at Harry, and Amie could see that it bothered him. Most of the class respected Trelawney in one way or another, especially Lavender and Parvati -- they looked up to her so much that they spent lunch hours up in the tower with Trelawney. When they returned they always looked like they knew something everyone else didn't, and it annoyed Amie tremendously.

Care of Magical Creatures had gone downhill since the first lesson. Hagrid had lost his touch, and now they were spending lesson after lesson looking after flobberworms.

"Why would anyone bother looking after them?" Ron asked another hour with the flobberworms. All they did was hold lettuce for them to eat.

At the start of October the Quidditch season came. Amie was excited to fly again, but she was also happy that she and Draco had been together for a month. They had spent the evening together out on the grounds, holding each other, talking. And of course - kissing a bit too.

Amie had now been avoiding George for a month, too, and she could see it was disturbing him. They usually talked fairly often, and now Amie couldn't even look at him. She was ashamed. Both because of her choice and the fact that she hadn't dared to tell him about it, like Hermione had told her. One Wednesday, the day before Oliver Wood would have a meeting with Gryffindor's Quidditch team, George sought Amie out. She was sitting alone under a tree by the lake, reading one of her school books. It was very peaceful, the day was bright and quite warm.

"Hey." someone said on her right. Amie looked over there, and went red in the face when she saw that it was George.

"Hello." Amie replied.

"Uh -- er --" George said. Amie looked enquiringly at him. "How come you've been avoiding me? I practically told you I loved you --" he blushed. "and I haven't heard a sound from you since then. I've tried giving you some space, but it's been a month. I need an answer."

"Well, first -- you did not tell me you loved me, you kissed me on the cheek and said you didn't think of me as a friend. And secondly -- I've been too ashamed to seek you out, to be honest." Amie said quietly. George frowned.

"Ashamed? What do you have to be ashamed about?"

"George -- I really like you... Trust me -- I do! But --" Amie said.

"But, what?" George said. "Please, Amie, just tell me. I can handle it."

"There's -- someone else?" Amie stated, but it sounded more like a question.