11. | Blood King

C H A P T E R E L E V E N

MAXIMILIAN HAS NEVER BEEN STRESSED OUT in his life than this day

He and Alec were waiting for Jace and Isabelle to arrive, with the latter constantly pacing and throwing things around. Obviously Alec was having an anxiety due to what Jace, his parabatai, might react to this. And according to him, it wasn't a good reaction he got when he told him through phone call.

He was trying to keep calm in front of Alec so the Archer wouldn't feel even more pressured, but he doesn't know if he could contain his frustration any longer. His red eyes were flashing every minute, but he took deep breath few times and it was normal again.

But that won't last long, obviously.

Jace and Isabelle entered the loft after a while and clearly Jace was in a panic mode as he approached them. "Where is she? Where's Clary?"

"She's gone." Alec said with guilt shining in his eyes and Maximilian was quick to grab his hand and intertwine their fingers.

"What do you mean, gone?" Isabelle asked.

Maximilian rolled his eyes, "What do we mean gone? You want to hear it in spanish? gon."

The two shot him a glare and Alec gave him a look that said not now. Alec turned back to the two, "She and Simon got arrested when we were securing the fire escape. I got distracted."

"I'm pretty sure it wasn't cops." Maximilian commented and Alec shot him a confused look.

"The mundane was here?" Jace asked at the same time Isabelle asked, "Simon? He's gone too?"

"It was an unmarked car, we don't know where they took her."

Jace stepped closer with a glare, "What did you do, Alec?"

Maximilian stepped in front of Alec and glared at Jace with a warning look, trying his best to not let his red eyes show. Jace looked at him with a clenched jaw before walking away, Isabelle following behind.

"It isn't entirely your fault." He told Alec, who looked at him with guilty expression. "I was here too, you know. It was also my priority to protect her."

"But lately, it seems like your priority has been to protect me." Alec muttered, deep frown etched on his face. "Since that incident at Pandemonium, when you saved me, it became your priority to protect me. Did you think I didn't notice?"

Maximilian licked his lips and looks away for a second, and returned it to him. "It doesn't matter. Don't blame yourself, we are at fault in this together. Just... don't let Jace get into your head." He softly said, looking at him with a pleading look.