CHAPTER NINE

❨ 009 : ʜᴀᴠɪɴɢ ᴇᴀᴄʜ ᴏᴛʜᴇʀ's ʙᴀᴄᴋ ❩

"WHY DID THE DEMON WANT YOU?" Alec asked Maximilian as they walked the hallway towards the Lightwood's room

"WHY DID THE DEMON WANT YOU?" Alec asked Maximilian as they walked the hallway towards the Lightwood's room. The Toussaint shrugged, "It happens all the time. I'm the Blood King, Alec. They want me because of it." He lied about it.

Alec still had his suspicions but decided to let go of the topic, figuring that the werewolf might not want to talk about it. Of course, he wanted him to tell him the truth. But he has no intention to force him. It is Maximilian's choice whether to tell him or not.

"When will I ever get to save you?" Alec asked suddenly, stopping in his track and looking at the Toussaint.

Maximilian smirked slyly, "As if that time will come. You seem to always put yourself in danger, Alec. I don't do that."

"Yeah, but you're putting yourself in danger by constantly saving me." Alec replied and started to walk again along with him.

The werewolf gave him a look, "Is complaining your ways of saying thank you?" He asked sarcastically.

Alec stopped moving again and sighed as he turned to him, "A single thank you can't express how much thankful I am. You should know that, Maxie." The werewolf hummed in reply at him before they started moving again.

When they passed Jace's room, they heard Clary's voice and Maximilian stopped the Lightwood from walking further by grabbing his arm. Alec looked at him questioningly and he gestured to the room with his head as Alec stepped his foot into the room with a confused look. His confused look disappeared, however, when he heard what Clary said.

"He said my name. He said, 'your mother for the Cup."

Maximilian's brows furrowed as Alec stepped further more into the room, "Who said that?"

"Valentine." Clary and Jace answered simultaneously, causing Maximilian to widen his eyes. "He's with my mother." Clary said.

The duo (which is Alec and Maximilian) started walking towards them. "And he can speak to you through that necklace? Here, in the Institute?" Alec asked with a frown.

"It's like when I saw Dot." Clary replied.

Jace dangles the necklace and stared at it. "It's a Portal shard. That's why your mother made sure you had it." He then turned back to Clary.

"All I know is what I saw... my mother's alive." Clary said with hope. "She's unconscious, but alive."

Maximilian and Alec shared a glance with a frown on their faces before the Lightwood turned to her, "Where are they?" He asked.