CHAPTER FIVE

❨ 005 : ɢʀᴀᴠᴇ ʀᴏʙʙɪɴɢ ❩

THE TENSION WAS VISIBLE ALL THE WAY BACK TO THE INSTITUTE

Caius — or Maximilian from what they heard from Rosemary — was being awfully quiet and his eyes only focused on the scenery outside the window since they got in. Clary was upset, but her tears no longer ran down her cheeks. The Shadowhunters were quiet as well, Isabelle looking as guilty as ever while Alec kept glancing at the werewolf, who seemed to be quite distant since Clary exited the City of Bones.

He can't even see the intoxicating smirk on Caius's face and it was bothering him.

Caius got out immediately as soon as the Van stopped and waited for them to get out before starting to make his way towards the Institute. Alec and Isabelle noticed how he seems to be trying to get as far away from them as possible, whether it's because of Clary's revelation or the revelation of his identity they didn't know. But one thing was for sure; Caius is trying to slowly cut himself out of their lives.

He won't succeed, though. Alec will make sure of that.

But before they could take a step forward, Clary speaks up. "Who was that, Caius?" Her tone held irritation as she asked.

Caius rolled his eyes. By the moon, is this orange blind? He thought with annoyance in his face. Clearly he didn't want to talk about it, but she still brought her up.

"I said who was that?" Clary pushed and Alec glared at her. He knew better not to push it or Caius will just explode his rage.

Caius clicked his tongue, "Didn't you listen to her?"

"Yeah, I did. She said she's your sister."

"She's a leech." He spat with venom lacing in his tone. His dislike for his sister was actually surprising for the Shadowhunters, considering Caius looks like he's someone who will do everything for his family. Before Clary could say something again, Caius stops her by putting his hand up in front of him, "Don't you dare talk about her ever again." He said with a warning tone.

Clary could be really annoying and pushy. That's the thing Caius hated the most about her. It's none of her business but she acts like it is.

After seeing Clary making her way towards the Institute without saying another word, he let out a sigh of relief and followed her, the rest following behind. "I still don't understand." Clary started as soon as they entered. "How can Shadowhunters be better than what you people call mundanes?"

Caius rolled his eyes, someone please stab me with a weapon drenched in wolfsbane.

"Because we protect humans." Isabelle answered as they all stopped walking.