51: The Intramurals

“Why would you? I know you're from a broken family, your older brother died because of you. Your best friend died because of you. Your mom and dad are separated because of you... because you have a bad attitude. You're a bad luck. Do you want him to die? Is Spencer was next on your death note? Tss...” Darlene began to work on things she knew were Sierra's weaknesses.

“I have the names here of the Agustinians, our classmates who you hurt and bullied. And just a snap of my finger, they are willing to report you to the principal. Also, you know how powerful the Power Fan Girls are...” Darlene even remarked to Power Fan Girls who block the door of the comfort room and watch carefully “They can make you stand out on social media. We will spit out your rotten scent and force the school to expel a demonic student like you so that you will not be able to sow any evildoings within this Catholic school you attended.”

Sierra was still speechless and her chest seemed to cling to what Darlene had told her. She felt scared. Her mind was troubled at those times. She couldn't think well. Her right hemisphere brain is losing its capacity that is completely unable to function.

“Why don't you just try to focus on academics. You have the title of being the "genius",” Darlene is being exagerrated with that word genius, sarcastically toned voice too “and I will protect my throne as queen of campus. Good luck, leech. You know what's going to happen, huh? Bye!”

Darlene beat him up and dropped her off. At the same time tears welled up in Sierra's sad eyes. She was angry at herself for being this way for she could not even understand what was happening. They're making her weak and falling into pieces as the situation worsens her feeling.

Power Fan Girls shut the door violently and Sierra was left alone for a while. That thundering sound served as a signal that she would stop all of the connections to her friend Spencer as she will also cut all of the friendly strings attached with them.

Sierra was now lying on bed in her room listening to the song— “Meron Na Akong Iba / Silent Sanctuary”. It was early in the morning and Darlene's words did not put her to sleep and thought of memories of her past that seemed to come to mind again and again.

She didn't want to get up. She has no appetite in all. She didn't want to move. She just wants to be alone and lonely.

Despite her solitude, Colegio San Agustin celebrates as the Intramurals happening at this moment. People were shouting loudly. Both banners and tarpaulins are scattered everywhere just their voices cheering their respective teams and their personal bet. Especially, at the baseball event where Spencer's face is almost entirely naked around the Grandstand, his pictures were over displayed and exposed all over and everywhere— his name is shouted by most of the audiences. It gets worse; the noise rapidly increasing its decibels because Spencer's team are now playing and currently leading the fight.

A few moments later and the shouting became louder as the buzzer sounded, indicating that the game was over. Spencer's team was the winner of the baseball match against all strands. As loud as the Power Fan Girls and their followers who were almost vanished out their tongues just because of tirelessly screaming and repeatedly echoing the name of Spencer who was the MVP of the game.

“Congrats, baby!” said Darlene and hugged Spencer, her boyfriend.

"Thanks," Spencer replied as he embraced Darlene coldly.

The fact that he was not happy even when he was trying to smile was irresistible. With so many people cheering on his name, he wanted to see just one more person— Sierra.

So he was very pleased to see the girl from afar hiding behind the grandstand while looking at him.

“Sierra!” he lost his grip and pushed Darlene to chase after Sierra but he couldn't get as close to her as he could because the girl turned and walked away; Sierra quickly left and lost from his sight.

But, why was Sierra there? Because she watched Spencer's fight, it is her first time to watch the guy playing not just in a practice game but in a real match. Yes, she went and watched but she decided not to show Spencer so when that guy saw her, she immediately left and hid.

“Baby! Come back here!” Darlene yelled at the boy, now holding and stopping him from leaving. Spencer could no longer struggle or be able to slip into his girlfriend's arms holding him back and tight.

•••••

Spencer said goodbye to his team mates and even to Darlene at their victory party. It's just that he can't celebrate but he had to go home to make him feel better and not worse. He knew he had a headache and looked like he was going to have a fever.

As he walked back home, Sierra suddenly came into his reminiscence, hearing the same thing the Philosopher lady said when Reggie and him was once sitting in Sierra's class, last school year.

“Sometimes you put walls up not to keep people out but to see who cares enough to break them down.” That is the quote of Socrates that Sierra answered during their recitation with Miss Lhera Pontillas in the Philosophy class.

He stopped walking but resumed again until he got near Sierra's house. Lucky for them to meet again, Sierra is out after dumping a garbage bag but now she's entering the gate again so Spencer ran until he was able to hold and restrained the girl. Sierra was shocked to see Spencer and at that moment, she didn't know what to do.

“Sie, bakit? What's happening to you?” he asked Sierra who had not escaped him anymore; he confronted her.

“Tama na, Peng... let me go.” Sierra tried to get out of Spencer's hand, holding her back.