Chapter 26

“He’s my friend Alex! How many times do I have to keep saying that?!” Mia almost raised her voice out of sheer frustration.

Alex didn’t even say anything and just kept on writing something. His lack or rather devoid of any reaction fueled Mia’s desire to keep on convincing him.

A week has already passed since she woke up and woke up she did to her old memories. She remembered her true name and her family and the man so dear to her. But she also remembered that dark slice of her past when she first encountered Sam.

Oh Sam…Sam… Mia thought sadly. Her dearest friend whom she trusts her life with turned out to be the man who was the reason she lost her memories of Alex.

And Mia know…deep in her heart…that is the only reason why Alex can’t find it in him to forgive Sam.

As she recalls the night she finally woke up, the pain and surprise in Alex’s face when she asked for Sam. Mia later realized the mistake she unknowingly did by asking for the man responsible for Alex’s heartache for so long.

She worries for Sam especially when she learned of his fate. Mia can truly understand how it feels to be put in a place reeking of desperation and loneliness. But how to help him get out is something that is still unclear for Mia.

She was still in deep thought when Alex took a glance at her and saw that she was busy thinking of something. He still could not believe that she’s finally back. To be able to finally hold her almost brought back the tears. Their reunion though is a little bittersweet…marred by the presence of Sam and Mia’s concern for his safety. Alex felt the spark of jealousy and his animosity for Sam grew. Hell will freeze over before he will allow Sam to get out.

When he heard Mia call his name again…

“Alex, can you please stop writing and listen to me even for a short while?”

He turned to her and smiled. Alex was hoping to be able to distract Mia from her continuous attempt to convince him in letting Sam go.

“You’re right, love. Would you like a walk with me to Mother’s garden? You did love her flowers very much.”

Mia didn’t smile back but instead remained with a serious expression on her face. She’s aware that Alex is trying to remain calm because what she’s asking is too much for him. But she just can’t sit and do nothing to help her friend. No matter what he did.

“A walk to your Mother’s garden will be lovely Alex but that’s not where my feet wants to take me. Please…”

Alex walked up to Mia and held her face with both hands. He leaned down and planted a kiss on her forehead. He then looked at her eyes for a few moments then replied.

“I love you Mia…but no.”

She instantly frowned and placed a firm hold on his left arm when he was about to walk back to his desk.

“What do I have to say to convince you?! Sam is my friend and he took care of me. I can’t just sit here and let you do this to him. You can’t let him rot down there!”

It was obvious from looking at Alex’s jaws that he’s starting to lose his cool. Heaven knows he tried his best as long as he could to hold on to his temper and try to understand Mia. But enough is enough.

“Your friend will remain where he is right now because that’s what he deserves! I don’t care if he took care of you. All I know is that he took you from me and stole the moments I should have been with you! You just don’t know the pain I went through everyday not knowing if you were still alive or not. Do you know how frustrating it was not knowing where to begin looking for you? And for a year how I imagined the ways I will do to him for taking you away from me! You were saved the pain because you have forgotten about me Mia. You forgot that there’s a man out there slowly losing himself because he lost the woman he loves. And here you are asking me to let him go. Do you know how much that hurts me?”

Mia just stood there for a few seconds and simply looked at the man she loves. Tears have gathered and when a tear fell, she said.

“I’m so sorry that I’ve forgotten about you Alex and I’m sorry for doing this to you. It’s hard for you to understand but I need to do this. I have to help Sam. I just can’t forget my friend because I got my memories back. “

Alex’s anger has now escalated and he looked at Mia with such coldness.

“Do you love him?” he simply asked.

Mia was shocked at Alex’s question and quickly said no. She was about to give him a hug to convince him of her true feelings when Alex turned away from her.

“Maybe you do but you don’t realize it just yet. Because the way you’re insisting to help him despite of the things he did to you tells me otherwise of your feelings for him.” Alex said bitterly.

She tried to embrace Alex again but he stepped away from her arms. Mia’s tears are now falling endlessly while she tried to repair the damage she unknowingly caused between them.

“You are the only man that I love, Alex. From that year that I was away from you…despite knowing Sam loves me more than a friend, I couldn’t make myself love him back. I didn’t know why but I just couldn’t. Now I understand why. My mind didn’t remember you but my heart did Alex. Please believe me. I care for Sam only as a friend. It’s you that I love.”

But it seems Mia’s heartfelt words failed to bring down the emotional walls Alex instantly surrounded himself with. He didn’t turn around but kept his back to her. He sighed heavily and with shoulders looking dejected, he finally spoke to her.

“You win Mia. I’ll give the orders to let your friend go. Because that’s what you want.”

“Alex…” Mia tearfully whispered his name…

He did turn around and when he finally looked at her with bleak eyes…he just said.

“I need to be alone for now.”

They stood there gazing at each other. Unspoken words hanging in between them. Mia’s tears are still flowing while the emotions in Alex’s eyes are tearing at Mia’s heart.

Alex was the one who looked away.

 ***************************************

Sam was instantly on alert as soon as he heard someone coming to his door cell. This is it then, he thought. I will die and I never even had the chance to see Holly one last time.

He stood rigidly and waited for the guards to drag him outside and to his death. Sam has long accepted that Alex won’t be just content with throwing him in a cell and let him rot in there. For the things that he did, Sam knew that Prince Alex will make sure his punishment will go beyond an eternity in prison.

When the door opened, the last thing Sam expected to see was the Prince himself. Accompanied by a lone guard standing behind him, Alex simply nodded to the guard and they were both left alone in the room.

Alex stared at the man who he sees as a huge threat. The animosity he felt for Sam was raging inside him but Alex took control of his emotions and maintained a face devoid of any expression. The hurt that he’s feeling right now has escalated to a point of leaving him a little breathless.

He looked at Sam and said, “You’re free to go.”

As soon as he said that, Alex turned and was about to leave the room when Sam finally managed to shake off his surprise and asked one question, “Why are you doing this?”

Alex didn’t turn to face Sam but just stood there…silent. Then afterwards he finally spoke…

“What won’t you do for the woman that you love?”

 Sam remained standing where he was after Alex left the room.