Chapter 11

Mia and Suzy and the rest of the castle's workers were all busy preparing for the grand Masquerade Ball that is to be held in two weeks. Everyone was doing their task in making sure that the grand ball will be a total blast. Rumors are going around though that this Masquerade Ball is all about the King and Queen choosing the most suitable bride for their son.

Suzy nudged Mia gently with her elbow and spoke with such excitement...

"I can't wait to see this ball! Lots and lots of beautiful people to see and oh my...the clothes too!"

Mia gave her friend a distracted smile and went back to her thoughts. She was thinking of the things that happened a month after John discovered that he is a father. It had been an emotional roller coaster for everyone involved even more so for her little nephew.

She couldn't help but feel that twinge of pain whenever she recalls that scene between her nephew and John. As much as she hates the man, she still couldn't stop her tears when she saw how John embraced his son for the very first time. John, a well-known Royalty and very popular for his reputation for liking women very much, was crying so hard.

Her sister Kathy upon hearing his cries went over to him and enveloped John in her arms as if he was a child. And that was John's cue to cry with more anguish. If the scene wasn't so serious, Mia would have laughed so hard at how John looked.

But nothing was even remotely funny at that moment. Mia remembered sneaking a glance at the Prince who was standing a few feet apart from her and saw how rigid his jaw was. He caught her looking at him and their gazes held for a few seconds before he looked away. But in that short moment, Mia wondered at the spark of anger she saw in his eyes. And she decided that she couldn't care less why he was angry. All that she cares about is the effect of what's happening to her nephew.

Mia remembered how her nephew struggled to get out from his father's arms. It was clear from the expression on his face the massive confusion he was going through. Because as far as he knew, his father had died before he was born. Or so he was told by his Aunt Mia..

Little John looked at his aunt with questions in his eyes. And a look of hurt so evident that Mia knew the time for lies was finally over. Her throat suddenly felt dry and her hands started trembling. And for the life of her, she doesn't know how to begin explaining things to him. She prayed that she will find the right words and convince her nephew that she lied all this time to protect him and his mother.

When Suzy suddenly spoke and broke her train of thoughts...

"Mia! Mia! Hey! Snap out of it!"

Mia shook her head a little and turned her head to Suzy. She was about to say something to her friend when she realized that Suzy's eyes were round as saucers and was staring at something behind her.