Chapter 20*

"M/n... Are you okay?"

M/n didn't look back at Gwen, who had called out to him. Every time he closed his eyes, he remembered the expression Miles had on his face. It was the last thing he would see from him and it filled him with immense regret. Just remembering that conversation between him and the rest angered him.

"I'm sorry, M/n. I know how you feel about Miles."

"If you know, then why can't you see the potential he has?"

"I can see it, M/n--"

"Then, why...?!"

"I know Miles has potential, but this situation is far more dangerous--"

"If Miles can't do this, when will he ever learn how to truly be Spider-Man?!"

"M/n..."

"We've all gone through hardships! Lost people we cared about! There was never anyone to tell us what to do or how to do things! No mentors! We've grown to be independent and able to think for ourselves! Why is Miles any different?! I love him! I do! And if he wants to try, I'm willing to let him do that!"

"And you'd still let him regardless of the fact that he could die?" Gwen argued back.

"Tch..."

"We all know that you care about Miles. So do we. It's why it's better if one of us does it. Miles... still has other people in his life. So... We're all here to decide who should take his place."

"..."

"I'll do it. I can stay behind," Peni volunteered.

"No can do, little lady," Noir objected. "I'll stay behind."

"I'll stay."

"I'll stay!"

Gwen looked at all of them who volunteered before turning back to the (h/c)-ette. "And you M/n? Have you decided what you'll do?"

"If it's come to this..."

"Huh?"

"I'll stay behind in his place... You all... have things, family, and friends you need to go back to. I don't have anything like that to hold me back. So... I'll do it in his place."

He sighed. Soon enough, they had to get off the bus. The bus driver and passengers all looked in bewilderment as they swung out of the bus. They all climbed onto the top of a crane, just a little ways away from Fisk Tower. 

M/n crouched down, looking ahead at the building in front of them. He looked down at his body, feeling a shock of pain course through his body as he began to glitch. It didn't help that he had a wound on his side either. He looked back up, deciding to ignore it despite how much it bothered him.

"Kingpin has a private elevator entrance from his penthouse to the collider below," Peni said, using a sort of laser from her robot to indicate the elevator she was talking about.

"Didn't count on having an audience."

They watched as people stepped out of limos and walked down a red carpet, getting their pictures taken as they made their way into Fisk Tower. They jumped off the crane, using their web to swing towards the top of the tower. They landed on the sunroof and peered at the people inside.

"You gotta be kidding," they all muttered, seeing the Spider-Man-themed decorations that adorned the room.

"Thank you," Kingpin said into the mic. "It's nice to be with you this evening to celebrate Spider-Man. He and I were very close."