Chapter 4*

Miles' POV

Making my way out of my dorm, I began walking down the hallway. Looking up, I spotted M/n stepping out of his dorm as well. He was scrolling through his phone, one of his earbuds already in. I speed-walked towards him.

"Hey, M/n," I called out to him.

He looked up at me with wide eyes before his expression went back to normal. "Hey, Morales."

"Come on," I said. "Call me Miles."

"Okay," he replied, nodding his head. "What's up?"

"You had breakfast yet?"

At that, he shook his head. "No, I haven't, actually. Why?"

"Since you haven't had breakfast, how 'bout we grab some together?"

"Oh. Sure."

I continued making conversation with him on our way to eat. Turns out M/n's a pretty fun guy to be around. "I'll see you around, Miles."

"I'll be keepin' an eye out!"

--

The teacher slid my graded test sheet toward me. On it was 0/100 written in red marker. 

"A zero?" I asked in fake disbelief

"A zero?" I asked in fake disbelief. "A few more of those and you'd probably have to kick me out of here, huh?"

She looked at me, her expression serious as she tapped the end of her marker against her desk. "Maybe I'm just not right for this school--"

"If a person wearing a blindfold picked the answers on a True or False quiz, at random, do you know what score they would get?"

"50%?"

"That's right."

"Wait--"

"The only way to get all the answers wrong is to know which answers are right", she said, adding a one and a zero next to the zero that was already written. "You're trying to quit. And I won't let you"

I rolled my eyes, seeing as she already figured me out entirely. "I'm assigning you a personal essay. Not about physics. But, about you...and what kind of person you want to be."

--

Sighing, I sat at my desk, looking down at my notepad. Written at the top was 'Great Expectations'. I had no idea what to write down. Getting an idea, I snuck out, leaving the school. I made my way to my Uncle Aaron's apartment. From outside, I could hear a song by Biggie Smalls playing loudly.

"Ha, sicker than your average, Poppa twist cabbage off instinct--"

"--Don't think sh-- stink, pink gators, my Detroit players--"

"--Timbs for my hooligans in Brooklyn--"

When I got to the window, I snapped a picture of him and sent it. It said 'I'm watchin' you' along with stickers placed around him.