FIVE | Five steps back

Over the past two weeks Lauren has given Physical Therapy her all. No matter if she worked at Shawn's gym or within the comfort of her own home Lauren has put her blood, sweat and tears into this. Both mentally and physically she was regaining her strength but still she wasn't doing more than simply lifting her legs off the floor.

"Do you think I'll be able to stand on my own soon?" Lauren knew she wasn't going to just wake up tomorrow and magically be able to walk again but she could settle for soon, soon meant there was a possibility that she could make it to at least one of RJ's games this season and actually stand on her feet and cheer her boy on maybe she could even go to little Pete's art show's without him having to ask with the look of horror on his young face 'mommy do you have to bring the chair?' . Motivation and determination is key and she had both. All she needed now was some reassurance.

Shawn sighed heavily scratching his bald head trying to find the right words to say to soften the blow that he was about to tell her no. A lot has changed in the past two weeks. They didn't just work hard but they joked and laughed, engaged in meaningful conversation.  She had her housekeeper cook him breakfast every morning. Lauren wasn't just this woman he worked for she has become his friend. "Let's focus on one thing at a time, Okay?"  

"We have been focusing on the same one thing for two weeks now Shawn." Lauren pouted poking out her bottom lip and folding her arms over her chest and although she was dead serious Shawn couldn't help but find her childlike movements adorable.

"You have been working hard and I couldn't be more proud but I can't have you pushing too hard. Lauren if you skip-"

"skip too many steps forward you end up falling back five." Lauren mimicked Shawn repeating what he had been telling her every day since the day they met.  "I know I'm just eager to get back to the person I use to be."

"Oh yeah? and who's that Raymond Mccall's wife!" Shawn spoke jokingly but still a hint of annoyance dangled in his tone as he spoke. Now that Shawn knew Raymond Mccall wasn't the man he saw in the photo's around the house but this ungrateful prick who didn't deserve any of the amazing things he had Shawn's mind was made up he didn't like Ray very much... actually , Shawn didn't like him at all.

"No! Before I was a wife and a mother I was a dancer. My legs were solid and strong and at the same time they moved with grace . I loved to dance and now.... I can barely get in and out of that damn chair and into my wobbly ass bed without damn near killing myself"  her head hung low "now I underestimated how much my legs meant to me."

"Stop talking like your legs are something you lost. They are still attached to your body. You still have feeling in them" He reached out a pinched the skin on her left leg. "See!"

"Hey, that hurt!" Lauren flinched from the pain and swatted Shawn's hand away. "Okay okay I get your point." 

"Good. Now enough complaining let's get these legs up."

Lauren looked at him but couldn't hold back the smile from forming on her lips. She almost forgot how good it felt to  have a friend. All her so called "friends" eventually drifted away after her accident. They'd call on holidays even visit every once in a while but they don't really care not like Shawn.

~~~CROSSING_LINES~~~

"What exactly did Andrew do again?" Rachel asked Vanessa. Enjoying the feeling of being able to lay flat on her stomach as the masseuse went to work on her back. She hadn't realized how much of a strain her life has put on her body until now. Rachel was a mom to a two-year-old, a teacher/mentor to high school students and a wife to a grown ass lazy man who didn't seem to know how to cook or clean. A day of nothing but champagne and relaxation was definitely needed but still, she wasn't sure why exactly Andrew was paying for this treatment.