TWENTY-FIVE |

Grief, guilt and Panic ripped through Vanessa all at once . The loss of her twin as estranged as they have become hit her like a mack truck. Nessa was so caught up in her own drama she didn't even feel that the one person she once shared a womb with was gone forever and not because of some accident. Sam was murdered and Vanessa was Detective Hanson's main suspect.

Her mother was frantic over the phone when Vanessa had spoken to her late last night. It made Vanessa feel even worse knowing that nothing she said would ease her mother's pain. Nothing was going to lessen the devastating blow Cheryl Patterson felt after hearing that one of her children passed on before her. Mother and daughter cried on the phone for three hours straight before Vanessa's father had finally convinced his distraught wife to hang up the phone and get some sleep.

Nessa had no idea if her mother managed to get some shut eye but she herself couldn't get more than ten minutes at a time. And Andrew? he stayed for all of it. Still after everything she had done and even though he no longer wanted to be with her he was still for her. Andrew offered her kind words, safety, and comfort but he was sure to not offer her his heart. 

Vanessa told him he was welcome to sleep in the bed if he was going to stay but he declined and slept uncomfortably in a chair in the corner of the room he wanted to draw the line somewhere but still didn't want to leave her alone. Andrew's body ached but still he got up and made Vanessa a full breakfast with a tall glass of orange juice for her to wash it down. Not that she needed it though, all Vanessa did was shuffle the food around her plate with her fork.

"You should eat," 

The plate sat in front of Vanessa for forty five minutes now and all he managed to convince her to get down was two bites of toast.

"I'm not hungry." Vanessa shook her head finally pushing the plate away. She looked a mess eyes red and puffy hair standing up on top of her head pointing in all different directions. "What if they pin this on me?"

Andrew shook his head. "You didn't kill her."

"It wouldn't be the first time an innocent person was punished just to close a case," Vanessa could see the heavy steel cell bars closing in front of her already and it terrified her. "My sisters real killer is going to run free and I'm going to get beat down by some overly large woman for accidentally picking the wrong bunk,"

"You watch too much television . You're not going to jail Sam's killer will come to justice and you will move on from with"

"Yeah just without you." Vanessa murmured so low under her breath Andrew couldn't even hear her.

"What?" 

Vanessa shook her head. "Nothing...look I know here with me is the last place you want to be so you can go I'll be fine."

Andrew shot her a look.  She was crazy to think he was leaving her alone. " Eat your food I'll call Rachel I'm sure she won't mind coming over and watching over you." Andrew grabbed the edge of her plate and pulled it back in front of her.

~~~CROSSING_LINES~~~

Tracking down Vincent Wales wasn't a hard thing to do and for the most part the man was cooperative still Mikael Hanson felt he and his partner were wasting their time. Vanessa Mccall had all the answers to their questions they just needed to apply pressure.

"You knew Samantha Patterson's right? You were her boyfriend."

Vincent shook his head and he smiled a little remembering the woman who to him was more than a friend but oddly less than a girlfriend. "No we were something but we definitely weren't a couple."