Chapter 32 - Fate of Us

Caleb

Why is my sister always sacrificing herself for everyone? First me in the Weapons Lab in the Bureau, now my daughter and Cara because of David.

After all I've done to her, she still shows love toward me and my family.

I don't know how she does it.

I jump when I hear mom cry out. She's been in labor all night with the baby that David forced her to have. Where is he now? Defiantly not here for the birth of his "son" that he wanted so badly. I just wish that there was some way I could help. I'm basically useless over here with my sister bleeding badly on the floor and my mother in labor across the hall. Not to mention that I can't be there with my daughter and wife either. But at least Cara is a nurse, she can help more over there than I could.

I hear footsteps. Someone must be coming to turn on the lights. I see Tris sit up and look around groaning in pain. She looks at the door, then at Cara, then at mom, then her eyes find mine in the darkness.

I'm defiantly not the same guy she knew when she was in Chicago three years ago. I've changed a ton. More of me has changed than the old clothes that I was given when I took a shower who knows how long ago. I got to continue on with my life, meanwhile she was stuck here, not able to let her true colors shine.

She's changed a lot too though. She's skinnier than she always was, she's really pale, and at the moment, she's bloodier than I've ever remembered her.

I've changed in a good way while her life has just been going down hill for three years.

I can tell by the look in her eyes that she's changed. She use to always have light in her eyes, a smile visible in them; even during the war. Now I only ever see one thing in them;

Fear.

She reacts more to the littlest things, she's always looking around cautiously, and never sleeps all day like the rest of us do. It's like she knows something that the rest of us don't. She backs away when someone comes near. It's like she's expecting the worst to happen no matter how calm the action is.

But can I really blame her for any of that?

I haven't been through what she's been through, so I can't.

I see Tris shuffle to the back of her cell. That snaps me out of my thoughts. I hear the footsteps again, but louder this time.

The door bangs open and Cara jumps up now awake. I hear Tris suck in a breath and Mom jumps and then cries out again in pain. The lights flip on to reveal David now in the room.

"Good morning." He says slyly.

I see that he has styrafoam containers, cups, and a pitcher. I'm guessing that he brought us our food for the day or for the next days. They sometimes only feed us every other day and when they do it's never much.

He throws the containers starting with Cara; throwing it right at her face. She catches it before it hits her though.

Then he turns around and throws one at my head. I catch it as well.

He looks like he's going to throw one at Dad, but then he turns fast and throws one at Tris but not at her head. She reacts fast and it just misses her left leg by a fingertip. She's breathing really heavily now.

Now he turns and throws one at Dad. It misses him completely and hits the wall behind him. It cracks in half but no food escapes. He didn't even bother to try and catch it.

He throws one at mom and I can tell he made it purposely miss her stomach by a foot at least. At least it didn't hit her. She's already in too much pain and doesn't need more on top of that.

"How are you, Natalie?" I hear his smirk in his tone.

"F-ine. Th-ank yo-u." She says through her visible pain.

Mom is laying against the bars right by where Tris is sitting. I look closely and see that Tris is rubbing the top of her hand soothingly and encouragingly. I hope David doesn't hurt her for that, but I don't want to tell her to stop and bring it to his attention at the same time.

As if he could read my mind he remarks. "I'll let that slide for today." and points to their hands.

I take a deep breath. Thank goodness. At least mom can be comforted during this. She can't have medical help, so it's the least that she should be able to have.

"Oh yeah, and here." He turns and walks toward the door and picks up some old towels. "You will need these. I'll be around for when you need the cord cut. I'm not leaving you unattended with a knife or scissors."

With that he gets up and leaves.

I hope that someone is continuing the project I started back home. They may be our only chance of getting out of here.

A little red dot interrupts my thoughts. How had I never noticed that before in all of the corners of the room?

I see a little black circle shaped thing on the ceiling with a tiny red light that could only be one thing.

A camera.

Cameras actually.

Four of them. One in each corner.

If someone is continuing my project back home, there may be some actual hope that we can get out of here.

But our fate is in their hands.

The fate of us could go either way.

A/N-

Hi humans! I know and I'm sorry! Another boring chapter. I'm trying to lead it up to some exciting stuff, but you have to take the good with the bad, so hold on! Stuff will be happening real fast real soon! The Truth is coming!

I was hoping to update all day tomorrow because I hate celebrating my birthday (I am very Abnegation when it comes to anything drawing attention to me. I just hate it. My friends tease me for being so Abnegation all the time.) so as my present I was going to update for you all and get this rolling, but then my family had made (non birthday related thank goodness!) plans of stupid stuff and then a family party tomorrow night so I'll try to update, but no promises.

2.94k reads!! <4

Until next time!

Stay amazing!

Thanks for reading!

VOTE!

AND

COMMENT!

AND

BE BRAVE <4