Chapter 58 - Some Hope

Shauna

I do the same thing that I do every day, and now probably for the rest of my life; lay there and look at the walls of the hospital room.

I should be leaving in a few days in a wheelchair if nothing changes.

How would anything change though? I'm probably stuck like this now. They've tried giving me the same serum medication stuff that they gave to me when I did get shot and all of this happened because that's how I was able to walk again; that IV medication. However, this time the medicine this time did not work.

Zeke was going to visit this morning and stay the majority of the day, but an emergency meeting was held for just about everyone this morning so he couldn't stop by before. I'm upset that he couldn't make it this morning, but I feel better when I think about how much more important this meeting was.

My sister and his brother's lives depend on this meeting.

Well, their rescue depends on this meeting. It's already clarified that they'll be saved, but this is on who will go.

I'm pretty sure Zeke will be going.

I sure hope so.

I don't see him not going though. I mean this is his brother and a ton of his closest friends we are talking about here.

I know I would if I could.

A knock on the door startles me. Maybe it's Zeke? I hope it is--

It's just a nurse.

Ugh.

"Good morning dear! How are you this fine morning?" She says so cheerfully it sickens me.

"As good as someone who can't feel her legs can get." I remark sarcastically.

She looks at me for a second and goes back to her regular job of checking my clipboard and doing blood pressure and all of that crap.

"Beautiful day out there, isn't it?" She says still cheerful.

That hit a nerve.

"I haven't left this room for at least the past three months." I literally glare at her.

Seriously? How would I know what the weather is like out there? Do she think I can just get up and take a stroll outside to enjoy the weather? I guess Erudite or Amity or wherever this woman is from hasn't taught common sense.

"I'm sorry dear." She says looking at me sympathetically.

I just look in the other direction, still pissed at her stupidity.

"Something like this usually wouldn't bother me. I guess it's just that I really wish I could just go outside on my own and enjoy the weather. But I can't."

We sit in silence for a few seconds but then she finally speaks, "Well, on the bright side, your files here," she signals to the clipboard, "State that you will be released on the ninth of August. That's only a few days away."

"Well, that's easy for you to say. All I get to do for those few days is sit here and wait. Plus, even when I do get out, I'm going to literally have to be taken everywhere, just like before. I can't just get up and walk out the door. I have to deal with a wheelchair or have someone push me. It's not all that simple. Still, I guess it's better than being here for the rest of my life. Well, just a little better I guess." I say shrugging at the end.

"I'll have a chat with you doctor in a few minutes if he's available. Maybe I can get him to let me get you out in a wheelchair a little; get out of this room. Would that be okay with you?" She asks.