Chapter 44 - Success

This chap is deticated to blondedivergent for all of her help on this chap and with the whole fanfic in general! Go follow her if you aren't already and read more in the A/N at the bottom!

Chapter 44 - Success

Tobias         (A/N- This all takes place a while before his phone call with Zeke. Enjoy!)

I take a deep breath.

All I have to do is press the enter button.

If it works, then we can get the answer we've been working and waiting for.

But if it doesn't, then we're all out of ideas.

Then it's back to ground zero.

Why is this so hard? It's just a button. All I have to do is press it.

But it's a button that could determine the city's future.

A future that could go good or back to war.

A crowd of people from 2836 have formed around me and this computer. I can tell that they all are as nervous as me because no one moves a muscle or says a word. It's dead silent in the room except for the sound of the computer's quiet buzz because of most of them being turned on in the room.

It's now or never.

I press the button.

A little turning circle appears signaling that it's processing the code.

I hope I typed it in right. I could have messed it up even if I did check it five times already. But there still is that chance...

The circle stops moving.

Green letters replace the spot were the little circle was spinning. I feel a smile form on my face as shouts of joy are heard throughout the room.

The letters say two words.

Two important words.

-Access Granted-

We are in the system.

The computer system that's in that metal building outside the fence.

Now we can start to get places.

*   *   *

"It just seems like there's nothing hooked up to it! Just a regular computer!" A female voice exclaims sounding frustrated.

We've been searching the computer from the building that we hacked into all day and no one (including myself) can find any signs of anything. There's no signs of anything suspicious. It seems like a fairly new computer with it barely being used and having nothing much in its history. Also for it having the newest software and protection on it.

But clearly not good enough protection because here we all are after hacking into it on our second try...

"Everyone. It's getting late. Like already past two am late. Why don't we all take a rest and meet back here around eight am later. We will work and focus better if we are well rested. Agreed?" Andy asks standing in the front of the room. He has dark bags under his eyes. I'm guessing that all of us probably do have similar bags under our eyes as well though.

Mumbles of agreements go throughout the room but then one Erudite shouts above the rest.

"We are so close now! You all are really going to quit that easily?!"

People just turn and stare at him. His cheeks immediately turn red from embarrassment then he gets up and walks out the door, clearly reluctantly agreeing with the rest of us.