24

"What colour is this?"

Sterling let out a  sigh as he looked at the drink I pushed in front of him, and I looked at the concentration on his face. 

"Green." He said.

He was right, it was a weird gummy bear cocktail. I pulled the glass back taking a long sip of the sugary liquid.

"What about that girl there? What colour is she wearing?"

"Red."

"So you can see that red?"

"Yes."

"So maybe it's just when they are next to each other." I said, my eyes on my phone trying to read up about his condition.

"I've never seen you so interested in something." Sterling said, I could feel him rolling his eyes as he drank his whiskey dry. 

"I'm curious." I said chewing on a cube of ice before taking another sip of the cold drink. "Or maybe you can't see bright red but you can see other shades." I said, more to myself as Sterling seemed to have stopped paying attention to me. 

I looked up, watching Sterling stare at his phone, his eyebrows knotted as he was in thought, reading the article I sent him. It seemed like he didn't appreciate it, with the way he would roll his eyes and shake his head.

"I can't believe you never knew you were colourblind. When you drive do you see green, yellow and red?"

"I can see those colours."

"Oh what a shame," I muttered shaking my head, "You're not as exciting as I thought." 

"What do you think I see?"

"I don't know. Maybe you just see a bright light at one of the positions and you know which one it is. Like the top is green so if its bright you go and if it's not you stop?"

Sterling shrugged, as I grabbed a glass of Rosé of a passing waiter, "Is this pink or red?"

Sterling looked up at me, his grey eyes narrowing slightly "Aedan...I'm not blind.

"No, you're colour blind." I said, cracking up at my own joke.

Sterling shook his head, clearly not impressed by my joke or  maybe he was because I could see the slight lift of his lips as he tried hiding his smile.

"What?" I asked, realising that he was staring at me. He said nothing, instead contained to stare making me shift in my seat uncomfortably, before he shook his head turning around to drink the rest of the drink.

I sipped my Rosé as Sterling opened up another page in the booklet that was left abandoned on the countertop and passed into me.

"That starts in ten minutes on the upper deck, did you want to go?" he asked. 

I looked at the page, it was the light festival that Ethan was talking about.

"Oh yes, let's go." I said, lifting my Rosé up and draining the entire glass. I hopped off the bar stool, grabbing my jacket.

"You know you can just take that glass with you?"

"And miss out taking another free glass on the way out. Never." I said shaking my head. Why would you miss this opportunity.

I placed my arm through the sleeve of my jacket, reaching around to grab the other end but realised Sterling was holding it up so I could get my left arm in.

"Thanks." I said, lifting the hair that was stuck under the collar, the worst feeling.

"And here I thought I was the alcoholic in this relationship." Sterling said as he grabbed the booklet from me, placing it back in his suit jacket.