Chapter Eight

When I got off stage after my performance I felt as if my heart would flow out of my chest. I was high on adrenaline and I could feel blood rushing through my veins. I could still hear everyone in the theatre clapping and cheering and it made me feel very proud of our achievement. Everyone had been so great on stage making everything run smoothly as rehearsed.

Our school had been allocated two rooms to change into, for the ladies and the gentlemen. I met with Hailee back stage who hugged me tightly before wrapping me in a shuka and leading me to the changing room. The last scene I had done had left me a little too scantily dressed to walk around like that.

There were so many universities here from all over the country. This wasn't exactly a competition since there wasn't a prize at the end. All universities that taught drama and theatre usually meet once a semester here to showcase their biggest achievements of the semester. It was open to the public so we always performed more than once depending on how many universities showed up. There was also a workshop and a panel. There was just a lot going on during this one week and we were bound to learn a lot. I was very happy though because this was my dream, to perform and show the world what I could do when I stepped up on that stage.

"That was so awesome. I knew you were worried about not being able to show feelings especially through the sad scenes but you actually shed tears at some point. I really am a proud mama bear." Lee complimented pulling me into another hug once we got to the makeshift changing room.

"Thank you Lee. You are amazing. All this is thanks to you. Right girls." I asked out loud and they all agreed. A lot of yes and yeah a were heard across the room.

Lee brushed us off" Oh please. You guys are the amazing ones. I really am proud of all of you."

We all awed when she wiped off a stray tear.

"Now look you've all made me cry. Group hug." And we all crushed her in the middle of our group hug.

We pulled apart after a few minutes to finish getting out of our costumes into normal clothes.

Lee was being so humble about this but she really had done a lot of work. I had seen her go through writers block to figure out how to finish the play and have sleepless nights when she couldn't find the right character to fit a part. She was so stressed about the writing and directing that I had to force her to stay out of the acting part. She would have exploded into pieces. I was just really happy for all of us that our success was paying off.

"B your phone is ringing." Lee informed me.

"Who is it?" I asked pulling on my jeans.

"Don't sound so excited, it's not Mason. It's your mom." She said handing me the phone and I picked up immediately.

"Sasa mama"I greeted.

Hi mom.

"Poa sana toto." She replied and I groaned making her laugh.

I'm very okay baby.

"Mom si nilikwambia usiniite hivo. Nishazeeka." I complained.

Mom I told you not to call me that. Im old now.

"Wewe bado ni mtoto wangu." She replied.

"You're still my baby"

"Sasawa mama niambie."

Okay mom talk to me.

"Mimi na babako tutakuwa Nairobi kesho juu ya biashara fulani. Tupatane lunch kabla urudi shule. Nataka kuona kama unakula ama umekonda. Na usisahau kukuja na huyo rafiki yako Lee. Najua hamuachanangi." She explained.