Chapter 22

Marinette's P.O.V.

Marinette suddenly heard gunfire and an explosion go off as some type of gas started to come out from the air ducts with a hissing noise. The gunfire echoed from across the mall as people started ducking for cover. Mar'i immediately went for Marinette and Damian who waited for her to reach them before running towards the service exit Damian spotted, they quickly ran through the parking lot to the family's car and Damian grabbed his back up Robin suit changing in the trunk as Mar'i led Marinette into the car.  Robin emerged from the trunk and spoke to them,

"Marinette, keep Mar'i safe and calm, this looks like it was an attack from Scarecrow. Do you think you inhaled any of the gas? Do you feel overly anxious or upset? even for the situation?" Marinette nodded and Damian handed them gas masks just in case they needed them later on.

"Stay here, and stay safe. Marinette, you need to call Alfred and tell him to inform my father." He handed her his phone and Marinette nodded as Robin ran towards the mall. Kor'i and Dick arrived a few moments after Robin disappeared from view, relieved to see the girls safe.

"Robin is already inside, I was about to call Alfred. Robin says he thinks it's Scarecrow."  Marinette informed the parents as they expertly changed in the somehow large enough trunk and ran off with a quick 'I love you' to their daughter and a reassuring smile. Marinette opened the phone and clicked the emergency button on the phone, Alfred's name or an option for the keypad came up and Marinette clicked Alfred's name. She didn't even know the emergency button had the option of a person's contact, they must have added the feature.

"Hello, Monsieur Alfred?"

"Miss Marinette, is something wrong? This is the emergency phone."

"My apologies I did not know Damian's password. Scarecrow is at the mall, Nightwing, Robin, and I'm assuming Starfire? are there now. Mar'i and I are in the car, Robin asked me to ask you to inform his father of the situation."

"Alright, thank you, Marinette. Please stay on the phone in case something happens."

"Of course. Thank you, Alfred."

"Something bad is going to happen?" Mar'i asked scared.

"Non, Ma Bichette. I know it's scary but nothing is going to happen, just remember that in the end, it will all work out." Mar'i still looked frightened but her breathing calmed down.

"You know? This reminds me of this one time, my classmate Mylene got really scared because she's camera shy and we were recording a short film for a competition. Someone got impatient and we had to recast her but she got so upset that she was akumatized!-" Marinette continued to retell the story of the Horificator distracting the small girl from the sounds coming from the mall with the fantastical tale about Ladybug and Chat Noir.

"WOW and how did they beat her?"

"Well, it wasn't really about beating her but about overcoming our fears so we could help Ladybug and Chat Noir free our friend from Hawkmoth. So we sang 'Smelly Wolf' and then Ladybug and Chat Noir saved that day!"

"What's smelly wolf?"

"It's a song, but I think for right now our special baking song is okay too." With that Marinette started to sing:

"Chut ! Plus de bruit c'est la ronde de nuit
En diligence, faisons silen-" Marinette was interrupted by someone knocking on the window she turned around expecting to see one of the heroes but instead came face to face with the barrel of a gun.

"Both of you out. Now." The masked man said roughly, Marinette nodded and turned to Mar'i so he couldn't see what she said.

"Alfred, there's a man with a gun. What do I do?" She was getting more and more panicked by the second but had to keep a calm exterior for Mar'i.