Chapter 34

"Are you ready child?" Gladys asks the girl.

"Yes ma'am." She says quietly.

She grabs her suitcase and the two step out the door.

They get in a carriage and ride to the docks.

Y/n looks out the window, watching all the passing buildings and scenery. Taking everything in best she can.

She doesn't know when she'll see this place again.

I took it for granted. Everything.

They arrive at the docks.

Y/n steps out of the carriage and onto the gravel.

She hears it crunch under her new shiny shoes.

"Sebastian take our bags to the boat please.
Y/n hurry along with your friends, I'm going to go speak with someone about our room."

She nods.

She turns her head and sees the newsies all gathered together.

They all wave.

She smiles and runs over to them.

She hugs Sarah and Katherine and then looks at all of them.

"Hey boys." She giggles. She tries to hide her sadness.

"Hey n/n."

Each of the boys take turns giving her a hug and tell her how much she means to them.

She makes her way down the line.

She reaches Crutchie. "What am I ever gonna do without my best friend." Crutchie says, his voice cracking. He hugs her tightly, a tear falls down his cheek. Her eyes water.

"I'll write you I promise." She smiles at him as she cries. "You better." He smiles, wiping his eyes.

"Thank you. Thank you for everything." She says. "No. Thank you y/n."

"You better have a whole list of amazing new books for me to read when you get back." Davey says pulling her into a hug. She giggles.

"I'm gonna miss you. You have helped me through so much. I don't know what I'm going to do with myself." Skittery says, pulling her closer to him by her waist. She kisses his cheek, which is wet with tears.

"Hey Blink." She smiles. "Hey y/n. How you doin?" He asks. "Not so great." She sniffles. "Me neither babes." They laugh and pull each other in, hugging tightly.

"You came" she smiles (that's what she said- sorry I'll stop). "I said I would didn't I?" Spot smirks and pulls her in for a hug. She hugs back. "I'm gonna miss you." He says. "Me too Spot."

"You still have a chance to run you know?" Jack smirks grabbing her waist. "Yeah I know Jackie." She giggles. "But I can't." She finishes. He pouts playfully. They hug tightly.

She walks to some more boys, hugging them tightly. Boots, Finch, Snitch, Snipes and so on.

"Take care a yourself for me n/n." Mush smiles, his face red from crying. "I will don't worry Mush." She chokes out. She hugs him and goes to the next newsie.

Soon she arrives at the last boy.

Race.

"Heya Racer." She smiles pulling him in. He wraps his arms around her waist. You could tell he's been crying. He strokes her hair softly. "You have no idea how much you mean to me." He whispers into her ear. "You do too Race." She starts crying again.

He feels his shirt dampening. His heart shatters.

She holds him tighter not wanting to let go.

Letting go means leaving.

"I don't want to go Race. Please. I don't want to, I can't." She cries, frantically pleading for him to do something.

He rubs her back.

"It'll be okay n/n. I promise." His voice cracks. Tears stream down his face. He's not sure if he will be okay.

She nods and lets go of the hug.

She smiles at the boys one more time.

Most of them are sobbing.

She waves and turns towards the dock.

She walks away.

No. I have to do this. He thinks.

She hears footsteps running behind her.

Someone grabs her wrist and turns her around.

She bumps into his chest. He grabs her waist gently.

She looks up at him.

"Race?"