Chapter 5

- Time skip - the next day after selling -

Y/n had arrived at the lodging house after work and went up to the bunk room.

Tonight they were all going to Medda's, and
y/n decided she would dress nice. She rarely wore dresses, because it was just easier to wear pants, but when she did she felt beautiful.

She grabbed her nicest dress (which Medda had given her a little while back) and set it on a bed and went over to grab her boots.

She went to the washroom so she could quickly bathe (she was covered in dirt and sweat from selling all day).

She gets in the tub and washes off the dirt from her arms. She starts scrubbing her face and hair as well.

She finished in the tub and grabbed a towel drying off and wrapping it around her body. She looks up and realizes, damn it! I forgot my stupid dress. She makes her way to the door and peaks her head out. She scans the room full of boys until her eyes land on her scrawny best friend.

"Crutchie!" She whisper yells. He looks in her direction and starts making his way over. "What happened n/n?" He asks concerned. "I forgot my dress on one of the beds. Could you grab it for me?" She asks the boy, giving him a nervous smile.

"Of course I can!" He walks away and she closes the door. She waits a few seconds until she hears a soft knock on the other side of the door. She cracks it again "That was qui- Jack?" She says, surprised to be face to face with cowboy.

"Oh n/n! Sorry Ise was just checkin to see if youse was out yet." He says, nervously rubbing his neck. "So I'll just leave youse to ya self." He says walking away, his face completely red. "Hey! Tell Crutch to put a fire under his butt and get me my dress!" She yells to him just as Crutchie appears. "Never mind!" She yells giggling.

"Thank you so much Crutchie, you're a lifesaver!" She says to the boy, giving him a kiss on the cheek. A light blush spreads across his cheeks. "Aw it was nothin really." He replies cutely and walks off.

She closes the door again and puts her dress on.

(Your dress... or I guess skirt and shirt thingy. Idk)

She decides to not do anything special with her hair and just puts it half up half down (or whatever works with your hair).

Y/n walks out of the washroom to a room of nicely dressed newsboys staring at her.

"Wowie y/n! You are lookin mighty beautiful this evening!" Specs says bowing to her. She laughs and smacks his head.

"Ah shut it ya bum!" She giggles. Grabbing her hat and sticking it on her head.

"There's the goil I know!" She hears Blink yell from somewhere in the room. They all laugh.

Skittery walks up and sticks his arm out for her to take hold of.

"Might I escort this fine young lady to the Bowery this evening?" He says in a funny voice.

"Why that would be lovey kind sir!" She replies giggling and grabbing his arm as they begin to walk out of the lodging house, the boys following behind.

- time skip -

They arrive at Medda's and start filling up the tables. Y/n walks backstage to greet Medda.

Medda is like a mother figure to y/n and they are fairly close. She has asked the girl many times to preform but y/n has always been too shy to try it.

"Y/n l/n my darling come give me a hug! Where have you been my dear?" She says giving her an enormous hug. "Never far from you Miss Medda" she replies giggling.

They pull apart and had a small conversation before y/n heads back to the audience.

She walks over to where Crutchie is. "Crutch, sit on me lap." She says as the boy starts to get up. She sits down and he sits on top of her lap. She wraps her arms around his torso and rests her chin on his shoulder waiting for the show to start.

She felt many eyes on her but didn't pay any attention to it. Though the boys who were watching her could not ignore the jealousy bubbling up in their core. The boys at y/n's table had stopped talking and just stared.

Davey was trying not to seem bothered but he couldn't help it. Blink was a mess. Why couldn't he be that close to y/n? Jack tapped his foot anxiously. But the one who was most angry was Racetrack.

Race stood leaning against a post a few feat away from her table, watching intensely as the two whispered to each other and laughed. And how y/n would rock him back and forth. He was furious. He didn't know why he was so mad but he couldn't help it.

He scoffed a lit his cigar, walking over and sitting next to Spot Conlon.

The King of Brooklyn.

A/n- this chapter kind of sucks but the next one will be better I promise. Also there's a lot of Crutchie moments I'm sorry I'm just trying to show how close they are and the friendship they have. Plus I love Crutchie so much.