Chapter 7

- that night - 2:33 am -

Y/n shot up from her bed in a cold sweat. She desperately tries to catch her breath.

Y/n often got nightmares and sometimes it took a while to recover.

She feels warm water start streaming down her face. Great now I'm crying. She tries to muffle the sobs as to not wake up the boys.

This doesn't help the situation.

She starts hyperventilating.

She lets out a loud sob.

"Y/n?" She hears a quiet voice call from the dark room. She lets out another sob by accident.

She hears abrupt rustling from the bunk below her and then the sound of feet hitting the ground. A soft squeak from the floorboards fills the room and suddenly Racetrack pops up next to her bunk.

The girl looks at him with broken eyes. Her face red and her hair a mess. A steady flow of tears stream down her face as she takes shakey breaths.

His heart breaks at the sight.

"Hey hey hey it's okay!" He whispers to her and starts climbing up into her bunk. He sits down next to her and grabs her into a tight hug, running his fingers through her hair and rubbing circles on her back.

He feels her shake in his arms.

Soon her breathing steadies and she crawls into his lap like a baby as he holds her close to his chest, slowly rocking her back and forth.

After a few minutes, she speaks up.

"I h-had another n-nightmare." Y/n says just barely loud enough for him to hear.

"Do youse wanna talk about it?" He asks her, pulling her a little closer to him.

He feels her head shake.

No I don't want to be a burden. My problems are my problems. That would be selfish of me.

"C-can you sleep with me?" She shudders. His heart skips a beat.

"Y-yeah of course." The flustered boy responds.

She crawls out of his lap and looks at him for a second before leaning in and hugging him again. He hugs back instantly.

The girl takes in his scent. Mint and cigars. It was a calming scent. It made her smile slightly.

They let go after a minute and she crawls under the thin blanket, holding it up so Race can do the same.

He blushes slightly and crawls under.

The two face each other.

There's a comfortable silence.

Racetrack looks into the small girl's beautiful e/c eyes. He could get lost in those eyes and never wants to be found.

Y/n studies his face. The way his lips slightly part. They way his brown eyes glisten in the little bit of moonlight coming in from the window. The way his dark hair fell on his face, he looked different without his hat.

He smiles at the girl takings his hand and setting it on her soft cheek. She takes her hand and sets it on top of his.

"Thank you." She says softly bringing his hand down off her cheek and holding it under the covers.

"Anytime goily." He says smiling. She giggles lightly.

His smile drops.

"Honest l/n. I will always be here for youse no matta what." He says, suddenly sounding serious. He squeezes her hand, reassuring her.