Chapter 33

"Oh, y/n! Hey kid I wasn't expecting you!" Medda exclaims, pulling the girl into a tight hug.

"Hey Medda." She giggles, trying to hide her sadness. She didn't do a very good job.

"What's wrong?" She asks worriedly, pulling away from the girl and looking into her eyes.

"I'm leaving. I came to say goodbye." She says. A tear falls down her face.

Medda's smile drops.

She puts a hand to her mouth and backs away from the girl slowly.

She sits down on a crate, y/n could see that she looked like she was about to pass out.

"W-where?" Her voice cracks as she looks up to the girl. The brim of her eyes water.

"England." She says lowly, salty tears flow down her face.

Medda whimpers.

"Oh god no-" she cries. "No why? Please?" She falls to the ground hiding her face in her hands.

Y/n rushes to her side and engulfs her in a hug.

Medda hugs back immediately.

The two sit there on their knees crying into each others shoulders for what seems like hours, but will never be long enough.

~

Medda wipes her eyes with a tissue.

Y/n puts a reassuring hand on her shoulder.

"I will be back to you as soon as I can, I promise." She puts on a smile best she can.

"Don't forget me kid. I love you." She says pulling her in for one last hug.

"I could never." She breaths out. "I love you too Medda." The girl says into the crook of her neck.

~

She walks out of the theater.

The boys are outside the door. Some are sitting on the ground, some are standing, some are leaning against the cool brick wall.

They all look up at her.

Her eyes are red and puffy, her hair is a mess.

She sniffles and looks at them.

"Let's go." She says plainly and walks through the crowd.

~

"For how long?" Katherine asks in shock.

"I'm not sure." Y/n responds, looking at her hands, which are holding Sarah and Katherine's.

Sarah breaks down.

"No you can't leave" Sarah sobs.

"I have to Sarah." Y/n looks down.

Katherine looks at her in dismay; tears threatening to spill.

"Will you be back?" She asks in a shaky voice.

"Of course!" Y/n replies matching her tone.

Katherine pulls her into a hug.

She hugs back, resting her hand on Sarah's thigh.

Sarah whimpers.

Y/n lets go of Katherine and grabs Sarah, hugging her tightly.

"I promise I'll be back." She whispers in Sarah's ear, petting her soft hair.

She can't bring herself to say anything so she just nods into her chest.

"I love you two. So much." Y/n sobs.

"I love you." "I love you n/n."

~

"You're leaving?" Spot asks in disbelief.

She nods.

They're sitting on a dock. The same dock they were on when they went swimming.

"Yeah. England." She says softly, not looking away from the water.

He shakes his head.

"Will I see you again?" He asks distraught.

"I will be back. I promise you Spot." She makes eye contact for the first time since she got there.

She holds up her pinky.

Spot chuckles at the girl. He winds his pinky around hers.

"You never fail to amaze me beautiful." He smiles sadly at her; not letting go of their pinkies. "I'll be there tomorrow. You can count on it."

She giggles at him, tears falling down her face.

~

The boys watch the two from the bridge. They promised they wouldn't interfere.

"What are we gonna do?" Finch asks.

Jack leans against a railing and shakes his head.

"I don't know." He says, defeated.

~

She brushes her skirt off as she walks up to the boys.

"We should probably head back to the lodging house so I can pack." She says softly.

She grabs Crutchie's hand and leads them back.

~

The watch her as she laboriously packs.

They sit in a circle around her as she does. Some are on the beds, some on the ground.

"Yeah yeah and remember when Snipes laughed so hard, water shot out of his nose!" Boots exclaims. The newsies all laugh.

"Or when y/n and Race had been caught by the bulls when they threw a snowball at that lady? Theyse was almost arrested!" Crutchie says.

Y/n snorts.

"Listen okay, she looked real snooty!" Race explains defensively. The boys laugh.

"Hey, she did!" Y/n giggles.

They wanted to get as many memories and stories in as they could before she...

Y/n closes her suitcase and takes a seat next to Crutchie on the bed.

She grabs his knee. He places his hand on hers.

"What about that time Jack was talkin to that goil and Blink pantsed him!" Y/n says.

Jack turns red and looks away.

"Wese promised neva to mention dat again." He mumbles.

The boys erupt in howling laughter.

Y/n looked out the window and saw the sun was setting.

Her smile drops.

"I should- I should probably get going." She says sorrowful.

All their smiles disappear. They look down.

She stands up.

"I love you all so much." She exhales.

She holds back her tears as best as she can. She's done enough crying for today.

"We love you too y/n"

She grabs her suitcase and walks towards the stairs.

She looks back one more time at the bunk room she's grown so used to, and the boys she loves so much.

She smiles sadly before turning and walking down the stairs.