Chapter 16

"I'll see ya later Racer!" Y/n yells back to the boy as they part ways.

Y/n makes her way to the Jacobs' household.

~

David had just finished giving Les his soup when he hears a soft knock on the front door.

"I'll be right back." He says, patting the young boys head.

He opens the door to see a smiling y/n standing there.

"Hey Davey." She says wrapping her arms around his neck and pulling him into a tight hug.

He smiles and snakes his arms around her waist.

"What are you doing here?" He asks her, smiling brightly.

"I just thought I'd check up on you and Les." She says.

He leads her into the house.

"Where's your parents?" She asks the boy.

"Well, my parents are out of town for the night and Sarah is staying at our aunts so it's just been me and Les. You should join us for dinner!" He says, excited by his idea.

"Of course! That would be lovely." She smiles.

They walk over to Les's bed. Y/n sits down on the bed next to him.

"Y/n!" The small boy exclaims, sitting up in his bed smiling.

She smiles at him.

"Hey Les how ya doin kid?" She asks, running her fingers through his hair.

"I'm okay-" he starts but is interrupted by a coughing fit.

The girl grabs the glass of water from his night stand and hands it to him.

He takes a sip.

"Thanks" he says, wiping his face.

"No problem." She smiles at him again.

"Hey I'm gonna be stickin around for dinner, why don't you get some sleep so you can get all better. I'll keep Davey over here some company." She explains, pointing behind her at the older boy. He waves at them, giving a half smile.

Les nods his head and lays back down. Y/n tucks the boy in and kisses his forehead.

He smiles at her and closes his eyes. Y/n stands up and walks over to Davey.

He smiles at her and they walk out of the room, closing the door to give Les his privacy.

"You're really good with him y'know." Davey says smiling at the girl.

They take a seat at the table, sitting next to each other.

"He's literally the most adorable little thing." She smiles.

~

They eat some soup and talked about anything that they could.

"I missed ya today selling." She said. "I had to sell with Racetrack. He's such a flirt." She says scoffing. A light blush brushes across her cheekbones.

He looks down, a knot forming in his stomach.

"Well Les should be better soon." He says looking back up at her.

He gets up, takes their bowls to the kitchen, then sits back down.

They start talking again.

"How about Jane Eyre?" Davey asks hopeful.

"Of course! Its a classic!" She exclaims.

"'There is no happiness like that of being loved by your fellow-creatures,'" she starts quoting.

"'and feeling that your presence is an addition to their comfort.'" Davey finishes.

Y/n giggles.

"Okay okay, what about Frankenstein?" She asks him.

He thinks for a moment before shaking his head.

"No I don't think I hav-" "Are you serious?!" She cuts him off standing up.

"There is no way! That is the single greatest novel ever written! It's pure brilliance!" She exclaims, waving her arms around.

He stands up as well.

"Oh yeah? Well what about Pride and Prejudice?" He says smirking.

Her mood drops.

"Oh don't tell me!" He says dramatically. "That's gotta change!" He says walking off and rummaging through a shelf.

"Well if I'm gonna read Pride and Prejudice, you are gonna read Frankenstein!" She exclaims.

"I don't have it!" He says playfully.

They both bust out laughing, realizing how ridiculous they must look.

"We're fighting like an old married couple."
Y/n hunches over laughing. Davey laughs too, as a blush sneaks up into his face.

"Well since we decided I'm staying the night, I'll just run back to the lodging house. I have to get clothes and let the boys know anyways." She says, walking over and grabbing her hat.

"I'll come with you." Davey says.

"Who'll stay with Les?" She asks.

"I'll let him know. We'll only be gone a few minutes anyways." He explains walking over to Les's room and knocking on the door.

~

The two walk into the lodging house.

"Hey boys!" Y/n waves and makes her way upstairs.

They all watch her as she goes. As soon as she's completely gone they all turn their heads to David.

"What?" He asks, confused.

They all just look away and continue what they are doing, leaving Dave even more confused.

A few minutes later y/n comes trotting down the stairs with a pile of clothes, and a book in her hands.

"Where ya goin n/n?" Crutchie asks.

"Oh yeah! I'm spendin the night at Davey's tonight!" She says smiling at the boys and walking over to Davey's side.

They all glare at Davey.

She doesn't seem to notice, but Davey is very intimidated.

"I-I'll meet ya outside." He tells the girl.

"Okay? Well goodnight boys! I love you all and will see youse in the morning!" She exclaims. She runs over and gives Crutchie a hug and a kiss on the cheek before skipping out the door.

"What are your intentions wit da goil Davey boy?" Jack asks getting close to him and grabbing the front of his shirt.

"Woah there fellas!" He says, putting his arms up defensively. "We are only gonna read! She wants me to read this book she likes." He explains.

They ease up a little.

"Yeah guys come on, I mean what do wese even got to worry bout? It's Davey!" Blink jokes, walking over and patting Dave on the back.

They all laugh.

Davey glares at him and pushes him away.

"What the hells that supposed to mean?" Davey asks angrily.

Blink backs up a little.

"You know what guys, screw you, I should get going. Y/n is waiting for me." He says, looking at the boys one more time before heading out the door.

"Heya Dave! What did you and the boys talk about?" Y/n asks.

"Nothing you need to worry your pretty little head about." He says, looking at the girl and smiling.

She smiles back.

She wraps her free arm around his as they continue their walk back to Davey's house.

He smiles to himself. His stomach fills with butterflies.

Oh y/n, what are you doing to me?