Chapter Twenty Eight: Gran

It had only taken about ten minutes to stitch me back up after I had opened my wounds, and after Jesse and I had had our conversation we remained relatively quiet. Jesse had made me promise to keep my hands to myself, he didn't care what happened to Talon, he just cared about getting us all to the camp in one piece.

"If you undo your stitches again, I refuse to fix it" He threatened. I didn't know if I believed him or not, but I wasn't interested in finding out.

Eventually the others came out front, joining us. They were on edge, prepared for another fight, watching with anticipation as to what move I would make next. I looked toward Jaxon and Ronan, giving them a small smile each to assure them I was going to behave

"Are we all good here?" Jaxon quirked an eyebrow, needing verbal confirmation

I nodded, standing and pulling my singlet strap back into place. Blood was sticky against my skin, I needed a new shirt, I needed a hot shower

"Jaxon" Jesse warned, standing as he shoved his medbox into his cousin's chest "Don't"

Jaxon held his hands up in defeat, quickly giving me a wink

"We need to get moving" Jesse told us, adjusting the sword on his back

I nodded in agreement, moving to follow him from the empty street where a poignant smell lingered. Silently, the others followed.

I wriggled my shoulders, cringing as I scrunched my nose up.
There were so many things replaying on my mind, so many things that I could have avoided if it had not of been for Coby who cowered behind a car nearly 3 weeks earlier.
My emotions were eating me alive, something I had spent so long forcing out. I didn't want to think anymore, I didn't want to be so involved with these people. It was driving me crazy.

"So, how do you know him?" Ronan walked beside me

"Long story" I told him, uninterested in talking about it in any sense

"We have time" He pushed

"How about you go first?" I shot, frustrated

Ronan looked at me, his eyebrows creased in the middle "What do you mean?"

I turned the tables around, acting casual "You and Jesse, why do you hate each other?"

"Oh" He stumbled "We just, we have a bad past"

He was full of shit, and I knew it.

"It seems pretty bad.." I sighed, watching Jesse's sword pouch swaying with his movements ahead of me

He shrugged, avoiding my face "We... we fell in love with the same girl"

I feigned shock "Really?"

"Yeah, it got pretty messy" He was being shy on information, a tactic that told me Jesse's version of events was more than likely the truth

"Do I know this girl by chance?"

Ronan shrugged "Tricia"

I turned to look at his face, again, practising falsity "Tricia?" I repeated

He nodded "Like you said, it's a long story"

I felt angry at him. He was being untruthful, he was being sly. He reminded me of Talon in certain ways.

I kept my mouth shut. Hoping our conversation would be over. I had no further interest in talking to Ronan, nor anyone else.

-

Hours later, we had travelled through two small towns. It was becoming clear to me that we were getting close to the border. The roads were widening, the lines in the middle of the road becoming invisible, eventually disappearing. Houses were fewer, farms passing every half hour. I kept my eyes ahead, avoiding any conversation.
Every so often, I could feel someone watching me, whether it was Talon or Ronan, I wasn't sure, but it was uncomfortable.