Chapter Thirty: Ambush

It felt as though my mind and my body were on a completely different level. My mind was up in the air somewhere, my body tense and rigid. I wasn't supposed to be reacting this way; I wasn't supposed to act upon my emotions. The next ten minutes of my life, was soaked in the thickest silence of air. I tried not to breathe too heavy; I tried not to move too fast. I was scrutinizing every movement I made knowing that Jesse stood only meters from me. He had tasted my emotions, raw and unscripted; he had taken something that no other man had taken from me, my strength.

Once the horses were ready to go and the others had joined us, I felt myself relax a little, the distraction pleasing. Everyone except Jaxon knew of something racy going on between Jesse and I, so I avoided Jaxon as much as I avoided Jesse.

"This is going to cut our travel time in half" Talon spoke, running his hands over my claimed horse

"Good find Arrow" Jaxon agreed, his eyes burning into my face, his eyes wild as his smile widened. He was being a smart-ass. I wanted to punch him. I gave him my best warning glare, but I should have expected him to only smile more confidently.

I shook my head, and stood on the other side of Talon, opposite my horse. I kept my eyes on the horses face, feeling Talon stare at me. I knew what he was thinking, I could feel it in his arrogant stare

"Only one question" He began "There are five horses, and six of us"

"Which means one of us will have to double up" Jesse informed him

"I like this one" Talon replied, stroking the fur in front of him, in front of me

"You and your friend, Boston, you'll be doubling, take the brown mare" Jesse told him forcefully.
I refused to look at Jesse, but I could feel the intense discomfort lined between Talon and him. I had ignited something I shouldn't have. I'd created the intensity with the information I'd given Jesse.

Talon stood silent for a moment, his eyes wavering over me, debating whether or not to argue about it. Seconds later, he gave in, nodding "Fine"

I began to unravel the rope tying my horse to his stall, flinging it over his neck as the others readied their own horses. Ronan took the dark brown, three white socks, Jaxon had taken the third brown, four white socks, Boston and Talon on the paint, and Jesse the midnight black gelding.

I hooked my fingers into the stirrups, pulling them from their place beside the horse's belly. I concentrated on each step I took, remembering my Gran's words with each movement. It was all I wanted to focus on right now, my Gran, my job ahead.
Once my horse was geared up, ready, I pulled my backpack on, making sure my weapons were easily accessible if need be. Shaun was still out there somewhere, and by now, he'd probably know his men were not coming back. He'd be out for blood, enraged.

I blew out a breath of air, training myself to pay attention. I couldn't let Talon get inside my head, and now, I couldn't let Jesse inside my head, as difficult as that seemed to be.

I rolled my shoulders, feeling the heat of my back wound rub up against my bag. I forced back a hiss, rolling my neck out, the muscles pulling violently.

As I closed my eyes, waiting for the others to finish, a voice began from beside me

"You okay?" Instantly, I knew who it belonged to

I nodded "Mhm" Not trusting my voice

"You should take some pain killers for the pain" He guessed, nothing seeming to pass his vigilance. He'd noticed me in pain, even as I attempted to mask it. It made me wonder how closely he'd been watching me

I shook my head "Its fine"

He stood silent for a moment, which persuaded my eyes open. He was closer to me than I had expected, his eyes focused entirely on my face. I checked over my saddle, keeping my hands busy as well as my eyes. I wasn't ready to face him, not after the recent proximity we'd encountered