Chapter Nine: Book

Mason placed his hands inside his jeans pockets, a sign that told me he was nervous for unknown reasons beside current nightfall. "Just wanted to know how you were holding up"

"I'm fine" I told him quicker than he had been expecting

Mason nodded "Oh, well that's good I guess, and how is your arm?"

"Also fine" I nodded in return.

The wound hadn't actually been a hundred percent fine. It had leaked quite a bit during the days trek and it had been burning more than I thought normal since it'd been stitched up. But I wasn't about to whinge about it; I wasn't about to ask for him to take the stitches out, re-examine it and then re-stitch it. Things were easier with my mouth shut.

"That's good also" He half laughed as silence threatened to reign over

"Hey, about that thing that happened with you and Austin, I was about to step in but –"

"Austin's all talk, he wouldn't have done anything" I interrupted him, in no way shape of form allowing him to pretend he had almost saved me from a disastrous situation. I had control over what was happening with Austin, I didn't need anyone else's help.

"How do you know that?" Mason crossed his brows

"He's afraid of what's going on around him, he overcompensates with violence towards people and things he can control, or thinks he can control" I told him with a shrug as I pulled my blade from my belt.

"Austin had gotten into fights with other people before, I don't doubt he would hold back on you just because you're a girl"

"I don't doubt that either, but I can hold my own, I've fought things a lot larger and uglier than him before as well"

Mason seemed to smile a little "You really aren't afraid of him at all?"

I shook my head "No"

"Hm" Mason mumbled "You aren't like any of the other girls here"

"Sorry" I apologized with a small smile in return

"No, don't be. It's good, not so much for me, but good for you"

This time I crossed my brows in confusion "It's not good for you?"

"It makes it a whole lot harder for me not to be so intrigued by you" He smiled, bowing his head down.

All of a sudden, I knew what I had started by simply talking to him. He was curious about me, something that lead to a whole lot of nothing. There's was no way I would reveal my life story to him, no matter how attractive he was, no matter how much he sweet talked me.

Silence settled again, my brain unsure of how to respond without sounding like a complete bitch that wanted nothing more to do with someone who seemed genuinely charming.

Mason opened his mouth, ready to speak further when Keira tore around the corner of a middle aisle, her expression easing into a suspicious smirk when she spotted us.

Both Mason and I stared at her with crossed eyebrows, unsure as she stood silent.

"What's wrong?" Mason asked her, confused

"Oh" She stumbled "Um, Arden wants to see you"

Mason sighed before turning back to me "I'll see you later?"

I nodded slowly "Uh, I guess so"

Mason quickly turned back around and began towards the direction of the front of the store.

Before I could return to my wallowing of thoughts, Keira had replaced Mason's spot beside me, her eyebrows raised as though she waited from something dramatic to occur.