Chapter Eleven: Cupboard

"It's locked" Jaxon spoke as he shoved hard at the door with his shoulder.

Arden rolled his eyes and pushed past Jaxon's pathetic attempts.

Arden studied the lock for a moment before stepping back a little, seconds later, he had barged at the door the same way Jaxon had – only his attempt successful.

"He's still got it, and you, well you don't" Ronan teased pointing to Arden followed by Jaxon as a few others gamely giggled.

"Who says he even had it in the first place" Arden joined in on the joke, a surprising move yet again from the brute.

It was becoming hard to figure the guy it, it was confusing and I didn't like it - no surprise there on my part.

"File in, settle down" Arden soon changed his tone as the group bustled into the small space dividing out into longer more open spaces. The windows had been nailed shut from the inside, make-shift curtains hanging from each glass panel coated in dust and dirt. Everything inside the police station looked just as morbid as every other house, every other inside of structure I'd been inside. Things were dark, dirty, lost and abandoned. Blood stained some parts of the benches, some parts of the walls. Paper work and once confidential information lay disturbed and forgotten on the light blue tiled floors. Everything was quiet, apart from the whispers of those around me, those around me exploring their new surroundings. I had been in two police stations before this one, one before the outbreak and one after. Both were occasions I attempted to push from my memory.

I watched cautiously as Jaxon and Jesse made their way through each and every hallway of the police station while the others began to relax into their new camp site. I assumed automatically them to be checking, securing the doors and windows of each room and space before actually relaxing themselves.

"All good?" Arden questioned them as the pair returned

Jaxon nodded "All good"

Arden's shoulders fell a little, but he remained standing at the front of the station watching over us intently.

"The sun sets in less than half an hour" I focused in on Arden speaking to Jesse beside him

"We will be back in that time" Jesse responded as I forced out the sound of Nora and Abbie speaking to Keira about sleeping arrangements close behind me

"Who will stay?" Ronan then joined their discussion as they seemed to slowly huddle together

They all seemed to think for a moment before their eyes turned on Jaxon robotically.

"Jax" Ronan called alerting Jaxon who noticed the group and dawdled over.

"What's up?" He breathed as he placed his hands on his shoulders. He quickly noticed their intent stares "What?"

"We are going out to find supplies before the sun sets entirely, you're staying here to keep watch" Arden told him

"Are you serious?" Jaxon's voice changed suddenly "Since when have I become the one to stay back over Ronan?" He snapped

Ronan then spoke up "Since Ronan is always the one that has to stay back and keep watch"

Jaxon's stern eyes turned to Arden, searching for backup.

"Stay here Jaxon" Arden turned on him, his eyes just as stern. I could see the seriousness in Arden's gaze, even from a distance. Slowly, Jaxon's shoulders fell and he gave a nod followed by a huffed out 'fine'.

"Listen up!" Arden demanded of us, the whispers of the others halting soon enough

"Me and the boys are going to go out and find some supplies, some food, medication and what-not. Jaxon is going to stay, keep watch and help in any way he can while we are gone. We will be back as soon as we can, and whatever you do, stay inside" He warned and instructed through the silence.