Chapter Three: Cousins

"What do we do?" Coby whispered lightly beside me

"Stay still, and whatever you do, don't run" I told him as discreetly as I slowly cautiously began to move my arm backwards, my fingers in search of my bow and an arrow.

"He's moving closer" Coby fret

"Sh kid" I hushed him as I noticed the creature's large feet steadily approaching as its firm white eyes lay on us intently

"Oh my god" Coby mumbled again as his head slightly angled to the creatures left, yet another creature becoming visible in the darkness.

Their eyes were hungry, pure white inside like an egg white in a deep dark dish of an evil abyss. The bulky creature, male, an easy six foot hunched toward us, his long sharp teeth crunching and snapping like a temperamental pit-bull. The new creature, a woman now stood beside him, a slow team forming as she stared straight at me despite her lack of pupils, she too grew closer with a raging appetite, her teeth also foaming at the cracked white lips of her face.

"Take it easy" I told Coby as my fingers found my bow, the realization that the moment I pulled it back, the other would attack. Twilight was gone, and the only light that now gave us sight was that of the moon slowly creeping out from the clouds above in the opposite direction the sun had disappeared.

"They're coming, we can't take them" Coby's voice rose a little higher, tickling the noses of the creatures as they sniffled and croaked identical to a toad in warning

Suddenly, my brain registered just how in trouble we were. There was no chance of fleeing from these animals, no chance of taking off running because of two reason, one being that of the trip wire behind us, it's intentions and dangerous linger unknown, and two, it was nightfall, creatures were stronger and faster once darkness took over, there was no single hint of denial that if we ran, they would catch us. Without the idea of flight humanly possible, there was only one other option remaining, if anything, just as risky – fight.

"We have to fight them off, I can't use my bow, it's too slow for the both of them" I told Coby as I began to move my hand back down to my waist, my 14 inch hunting knife in place on my right hipbone.

"I can't" Coby shook his head frantically looking for an exit

"You have too" I urged him with a nod of my head, my eyes firmly held on the two pairs of eyes now a small five meters from us

Coby slowly began to whimper, somewhat like a small dog beside me, it was sad, yet frustrating; I was going to have to do this alone.

Gradually, my fingers pulled my knife from its safe tight place in my belt. I edged closer and closer until its full size was released and its silver strong blade reflected in the dimmest of places. I gripped my weapon as Coby shakily pulled his pocket knife from place, his fingers wobbly and weak while the creatures watched our movements.

My heartbeat raged inside my chest beating on the outside of my skin dramatically, my palms were sweaty and I was reminded once again as to why I hated having baggage in the human form of a kid. I was worried that he would get hurt, I was worried he would die, a handful of worries I didn't have time for.

"Ready?" I whispered towards the boy beside me, his stance telling me he was yet he was most definitely not. He quickly nodded and that was all the assurance I needed to start and hopefully finish the situation. I began to edge to the left, my feet slow and steady as Coby began to edge to his right. We hadn't discussed how we were going to attack, but thankfully, Coby knew that if we took one on each, it would be easier to handle.

Quiet filled the air as the creatures watched us both with fast and frightening eyes frantic on our next moves. I narrowed my gaze on my target, my hand tightly gripping the knife in my right hand as I held it out in front of my body in case one of them decided to jump first. I attempted to keep my eyes away from the sight of Coby mimicking my moves, there was no room for error here and my sight needed to stay alert and clear ahead.