Chapter Ten: Newbies

The sun hadn't been as glamorous as it had been the day before. Instead, grey clouds and menacing rumbles of thunder travelled above our heads. Rain beckoned and I knew that sooner or later, we'd be hit with torrential weather.

We pushed forward though, we didn't have a choice. Creatures lurked around us, day and night, along with humans that had lost their souls to the darkness. I couldn't blame them. My sanity had changed, and I wasn't sure if some of it were good, or bad. All I knew was things had infinitively changed, and change within me, was inevitable. I hadn't spoken much since the incident last night, which still lingered on the bored tongues of those around me. Austin was particularly getting on my nerves; he'd been shooting me daggers all morning and it was beginning to push at my tightly wound temper.

Keira and her female friends walked ahead of me, continuing their chat onwards, only now the topic on the army boy brats. It seemed they were smitten by at least one of the men each, which made me scoff. The boys were nothing to look up to, rather than to admire. Then, I supposed, they were all half decent looking, that I could not deny. It was solely their arrogant, rude and possessive behaviour that made me dislike them the way I did.

I then noticed Coby ahead of the girls, like before, like always, he held conversation with Jaxon, the weapon Nazi. This time, Jaxon seemed to be showing the stray how to use his knife with his left hand, a skill that was probably unnecessarily confusing.

I remained on my own, dawdling behind the group as I avoided all words at all costs. I found it was hard not to intervene at some points during the girls swoon over the boys, and it was hard not to scold Jaxon for teaching pointless moves to such an unexperienced kid. But I bite back my tongue and simply watched, it was as I watched on that my eyes began to notice an unwanted figure lurking slowing behind. He was edging closer to the back of the pack where I sulked bitterly. I rolled my eyes and attempted to huff loud enough for him to speed back up and join his friends, but it had gone unheard.

"Hey" He greeted once he now walked directly beside me

My shoulders fell and my face dropped "Hey"

"How you going back here?" He questioned

"Fine" I replied, empty

"Last night was a close call, wasn't it?" He persuaded conversation eagerly

"I suppose so" I shrugged

"When I saw them coming, I thought we'd be due for battle instantly" Mason shook his head as he waddled beside me, forcing words from his mouth to create some kind of bond between us

I didn't know what to say to him, I didn't want to say anything to him, I didn't care, so I remained silent

"Sure you're okay?" He instantly picked up on my unwillingness and hesitation "You seem quiet"

"Not a big talker" I told him, honest

"There a reason for that?"

"Is there a reason for discussion, for conversation?" I retorted

"Hm" He huffed "I suppose there could be"

"What reasons do you have then?" I played along

"Sanity" He spoke easily as he looked towards me, the sparkle in his eyes proud of his quick comeback

I thought about it truly for a moment as my eyebrows crossed. He hadn't been wrong, yet he hadn't been right.

"I've been doing fine so far" I told him

"Are you sure about that?" He quirked an eyebrow unbelievingly

I nodded slowly

"Cause it seems you've lost a little of your human nature"