Chapter Twelve: Denial

"Stop, stop" I spoke as my hand shot out in front of Jesse beside me "They're here" I murmured. Reacting suddenly, Jesse had gripped my upper arm – a move that had become his trademark. Within seconds, our bodies were crouched down beside a small house on the left hand side of the road, both our heads poking out from behind the stairs leading up to the front door.

"I see them" Jesse whispered above me

"Where?" I panicked, unable to see the creatures I could now feel through the coldness of air.

Jesse didn't need to answer, because the moment I had spoken, I caught sight of them. Two creatures, both tall, both slim and both angrily smashing at windows of houses on the other side of the road

"Shit" I cursed as I watched carefully

The creatures were seemingly overly aggressive. Their claws were sharp and glistened even in the dullness of light. They snarled and croaked at each other- their only way of communication. Glass breaking echoed through the streets, rattling through my ears as they swiped at a wide window to a once fancy looking brick two story home. Clear coated glass shattered on the ground, falling to pieces at the striking force.

"There's no way were getting past them" I mumbled as one of the creatures jumped in through the window, his movements swift and surprisingly agile

Jesse was silent above me, watching carefully as I was.
I navigated through my brain, looking for some way of getting past the creatures without a single glint of suspicious and alarm. If we startled them, they'd attack. If they saw us attempting to escape them, they'd follow us. If they followed us, they'd find the others. It was near impossible to decipher a logical plausible enough plan.

"I have an idea" Jesse's hushed voice broke through my impossible scheming

I pulled back and leaned my back against the brick home "It better be good"

"You need to trust me" His eyes switched from my face, back to the creatures as he kept vigilant

"Tell me the idea" I forced

"You need to trust me" He snapped as he stared wide-eyed at me, impatient

Hesitantly, I nodded.

Jesse was on his feet instantly, and uncertainly I followed his movements towards the back of the house where he examined the back door.

"It's locked" I obviously told him as he jiggled the door handle forcefully

Jesse gave me a short glare before his hand found the back of his belt and swiftly, out he pulled a small knife and a small gold hair pin. My eyebrows creased at the sudden questions swirling inside my head.

I watched curiously as he shoved the fine tip of the knife into the door handle, twisting it and turning it as it argued with small creaks. He then placed the pin into the bottom of the lock, leaning down on its level with his ear slightly tilted in its direction. Again, he began to wriggle the handle. I waited impatiently until I heard a distinct click seconds later.

I felt my eyes widen a little as I realized what he had done.

"You couldn't have done that before?" I shot as he stood and pushed the door open slightly

"This was my last one" He sighed as he held the hair pin up, its straight edge now crooked and bent. Jesse gave me an indescribable expression before he tossed it aside and stepped into the house with me in pursuit.

The house was dark, almost completely impossible to see through as I followed Jesse closely behind. I avoided looking at anything in the house, the pictures hanging on the walls, the carpet stained with blood on the floor, and I most certainly steered away from the kitchen were cupboard doors either sat open or tightly closed.