15.5: The Protective Twins

What's going on? Why is there a 15.5? I'm editing. That's why. I realized that where I had this before wasn't really the best place for it. It made no sense, chronologically.

Chapter 15.5

Mike POV
“Mike! Pass the ball!” The coach yelled from the bench area, but I ignored him, dodging past Willows, Smith and, Hartford, running towards the goal. Elijah was running next to me, but in this practice game, he was on the other team. “Pass the ball Mike! Mike!”

I smiled and saluted my brother as I dodged around Kroeger, putting his own teammate in between us, making it harder for him to tackle me. I laughed and ran past more of Altman’s football members before I was surprised. I was tackled from behind and when it was over, I realized it had been my brother. “Damn.”

Elijah got up, snorting as he did. “Yeah, damn’s right.”

“Mike! What the hell!? Get your ass over here!” Mike rolled his eyes, but went to get chewed out by the coach. “This isn’t some game you and your brother are playing by yourselves, damnit! This is a whole fuckin’ team. Now I’m happy as pansies that I have you twins as my star players, but at least let the other members participate! Understand?”

“Yes coach.” Mike just went through the motions of making coach feel satisfied so that he could leave.

“Yes coach, what?” He said. The guy was about a foot shorter than Mike, and his pepper hair stuck on end, although he was built just like any of the the others on the team. And when he was angry, for some reason, it reminded him of an ape beating its chest.

“Yes Coach Williams.” Mike replied.

“Alright. Remember that.” He said gruffly. Mike nodded. “Practice is over. Hit the showers boys.” He yelled to the rest of the team.

Mike trudged to the locker room, opening his locker next to his brother’s. Elijah looked over at him, his usually serious face turned to a smile. “I win.” He said as he pulled off his shirt. Mike grunted. 
“I’m still winning by one.” Mike said as he stripped also.

Elijah just chuckled. “Keep thinking that little bro.” He grabbed a towel and headed to the showers.

Mike decided to take a shower in the dorm, so he changed his clothes, and headed outside. 
“Hey mister.” Turning, he faced the owner of that voice. Gela stood in front of him, arms folded in front of her.

She wore jeans and a T-shirt, but she never was without her stilettos and makeup. he raised an eyebrow. “What is it that you want, Gela?”

She gave him an innocent look, pouting her lips. “What? Who said I wanted anything? Can’t I come say hello to a childhood friend?”

he sighed. Did she really think he was dumb? “I know you have a purpose in your visit-”

“What-”

“And I won’t help you out in your little...games.” he said sternly, looking at her. It was quiet as they played a little staring game. Gela spoke first, giving Mike a little satisfaction in winning.

“I still don’t know what you mean. I wasn’t planning on asking you for anything.” Gel said, sticking her nose in the air. “I just wanted to ask you if you knew the Commoner everyone’s talking about.”

Mike’s expression went instantly hard. “Gela, if you do anything to hurt her...” Mike threatened.

“Oh come on Mike, what is she to you?” Gela joked.

“She’s. My. Friend.” Mike spoke. This was what he didn’t like about her.

Elijah came out before Gela could respond. “Hey Mike." He said, and then his dark eyes wandered towards Gela. “Who’s this?”

Gela became outraged. Mike laughed.

“Remember the little girl who used to say she was Cal’s little sister’s friend, but she was always hanging around us?” Mike asked.

“Not really.” He squinted as he looked at her. “Damn, I need my contacts.”

“Not like I wanted you to remember!” Gela snarled angrily as she marched off, her stilettos making a clock clock  noise on the concrete.

Mike rubbed his temples as he and Elijah simultaneously started walking towards their dorm room with unspoken agreement.

“I thought you were headed to the room.” Elijah commented.

“I was until Gela stopped me.”

“Ah, Gela. The little readhead with freckles?” Elijah looked over at his brother in question.

“Yeah. But she’s wearing so much makeup, you probably can’t tell.” Mike clenched his fists. “She was talking about Mary.”

That caught Elijah’s full attention, although he tried not to show it. “What did she say.”

“Nothing really, but I have a bad feeling about her...” Mike replied honestly. “I think it’s best to keep an eye on Mary.”

Elijah agreed with a slight nod.