2. Getting Settled

Chapter 2

"Mamma! How did you pay for this school!?" I asked looking at Altman Private High. It didn't look like a school, it looked like a mansion!

"I not paying for it." She said in her heavily accented voice.

"Huh? Who is?"

"Caroline."

"What!?" I looked at Mamma in disbelief. "Are you saying I am going here because someone is paying other than us?"

"Sí." She smiled. "Caroline insisted."

"No Mamma, I can't go. I can't accept this. This must cost a fortune!"

Mamma's carefree attitude went to the wind. She lapsed into Spanish. "You listen to me. Caroline was nice enough to pay for this school. She did it out of her own heart. Will you reject her gift to you? She wants to do something nice for you. And if you don't try and be nice to her or accept her offers to go out with her, how do you think she is able to find what you like if you continue to be the hardheaded selfish girl you are!"

I sulked. "But she doesn't have to pay for a school like this for-"

"No no no! I don't want to hear it!"

I crossed my arms and looked out the window as Mamma drove into the parking lot. Once parked, she helped me carry my baggage to my dorm.

When I opened the door to dorm room number 112, I was surprised to see the half of the dorm that belonged to my roommate all set up. It was all in cream or gold and silver. There was a touch of baby pink here and there, and blue pillows on the bed. But beside that, it looked like an elegant bedroom.

I was even more surprised at how large the dorm room was. It was like two of my rooms at home put together, plus the closets! There were already two king size beds on either sides of the room, indicating the two halves of the room.

Mamma helped me unload and decorate my side. Unlike my roommates side, my side was bold colors, like home. Mamma put the sheets she had planned to use on the bed she was saving up for, onto my dorm-room bed, and I felt stupid and guilty for acting so selfish. I came up behind her and hugged her around the waist. "Lo siento mamá...I'm sorry for acting so stubborn."

"Ah, my Maria." She said, turning around to hug me back. "Don't worry. Caroline didn't want you to feel bad, she want to make you happy. That's all she want to see, was your smile." As usual, Mamma's accented voice always soothed me. She added in Spanish, "After all, you are the daughter she never had. Let her spoil you."

We finished decorating and settling in, but Mamma had to leave for work, which left me to find my own way. I admit, I felt like a kid, not wanting to let go of Mamma's hand, but I guess it had to be done.

I walked back out to the car with her.

"Don't forget to say your prayers every night. And always brush your teeth. Don't forget to braid your hair every night, and-" she started fussing with my bangs.

"Okay, Mamma, I get it. I will take care of myself." I said, stilling her hands with my own.

She looked at me, and gave me that sad-happy face. "Aw, my baby is growing up!" She pinched my cheeks.

"Mamma!" I said, looking around, making sure no one else saw that.

"Come on, humor your Mamma. You won't see me for at least a month!" She took me in her arms, and I smelled in her unique smell once more. It smelled like sunflowers. "Ah, mi mamita!"

And with that, Mamma climbed into the car and drove away.

Once she was gone, I trudged up to my dorm room to get my purse. I may as well get used to the school. It was to be my home for nine months.

"Oh! You're my roommate!? So cool!"

I hope you enjoy!

~Kyeire~