24. Dinner At Caroline's

Oh my gosh! King and Commoner is almost done! XD 

Chapter 24

As soon as the Chamberlain's front door opened, I was engulfed in Caroline's arms. "Mary! I've missed you so much! Have you done what I've asked?" The last sentence, she dropped her voice so that only I heard the question.

"Uh…yeah. What's in those boxes anyway?" I asked, disengaging myself from her arms.

"Oh, just this and that." She waved off my question." Did you like the gifts I sent you?"

"Yeah. They were nice."

She smiled. "Good. Have you used the third necklace yet?"

I blushed and looked away. "Ah…no…"

She laughed. "That's fine. You will when you feel like it!"

"Um…mother, do we have to sit at the door and talk? Aren't we here for dinner?" He wa behind me when I looked, and when I turned around, his eyes were anywhere not close to me. I guess he'd decided to keep his distance.

"I'm sorry Jeremy!" She moved from me to him. "Mommy loves you!" she probably squeezed him harder than she did me.

Jeremy pushed away from her. "What's wrong with you?"

Caroline looked a little sad for some reason, but it didn't look like it was because Jeremy pushed her away. I think she was already used to that. But I had no time to think about it because she was sweeping us all inside the mansion.

As soon as I actually looked around, my mouth dropped open. This place was…huuuuge! If I looked straight up in the guest area that we passed through, I could see large chandelier dangling form the ceiling. It was beautiful. The wire work was gold, and the lights glancing off diamonds cast shadows of colors. I wish I had one of those…

But, where the chandelier was anchored into the ceiling, a magnificent painting branched off from there. On one side of the painting, a sun shone brightly and cheerful. On the opposite side, a moon glimmered softly and romantically. The middle was a mix of stars and clouds. The background color was a beautiful blend of baby blue and royal blue.

I wanted that too.

The rest of the house was just as magnificent. The awesome gilt work around the doors and doorways also amazed me. Twisted into beautiful swirls and twirls.

We finally made it to our destination with lots of ooh's and ahh's from my mouth, and sighs and yawns from Jeremy's.

In the dining room, There was a long table, nearly similar to the popular table in the cafeteria at Altman. The food had already been laid out and sat steaming under covers made of silver. There were lots of penguin people standing to the side. Servers.

Besides that, there was only three seats. One on both end, and one chair set to the right of one.

"Who sits there?" I pointed to the lone chair on one side of the long table.

"Well, Jeremy."

I think I made a noise or a face that Caroline caught because she turned to me. "Would you like to sit there?" She asked.

"No…um…could I suggest something even though I'm the guest?"

"Of course! Please, you're family here, so go ahead."

I smiled. "Well, could we eat in the guest area?"

She looked a little shocked at my request. "If that is what you want, sure. If it's okay with Jeremy…" He shrugged. "Okay, so let me move some couches and things so the table can fit-"