20. Writing on the Wall

Were you surprised with the stampede of horses? Who could be so cruel? >:)

Chapter 20

Mysterious Girl POV

 "What the hell! You went too far!" The boy ran a hand through his hair.

She glared at him from her golden-brown eyes. "Too far? You said to test her. I did." But she hadn't agreed just to test the Commoner. No, she wanted to get rid of the girl.

"Yes! Test her! Not kill her!" The guy's breath came out in a harsh sigh. His head swiveled to her, and through the meager light that the 5:30 a.m. sunlight supplied, she could see that he was glaring at her. "I only want to see how strong she is. She's different, and you know how much I like different things." The smile he gave was sickly mischievous, but she wasn't complaining. Her brother could have whatever hobbies and fetishes he wanted. As long as he didn't interfere with hers.

That's why she had to pay along with him, acting as though she was "testing" the girl.

She smiled slyly back. "I know. Sorry brother. If you want my help, you have to do it my way."

He sighed and looked away for a minute, as though he was contemplating on it, but in the end, she knew he would agree. He always did.

He looked up, and the first rays of sun caught his eyes. They were darker than her own, and a little less golden, but still pretty. "Just…don't kill anyone. That last move was a little too dangerous. I don't want a killer for a sister."

She pouted. "Fine."

In relief, he ran another hand through his light hair. His hair wasn't really that color. He chemically changed it from the beautiful soft brown color it naturally was. She missed that color.

But now wasn't the time to reminisce on things that had changed in her brother.

"I'm leaving now." She said, sweeping her magnificent waves of dark hair behind her. "And don't worry," She said, opening the door. "I won't kill her." But I will make sure she leaves this school. She added silently with one of her shrewd smiles.

Her brother just nodded and sat in the seat she had just vacated.

---'---,--@

Mary

"Cal? What the heck are you doing?" I had just left my room when I found myself being picked up. At the same time, that blond-capped face smiled brightly down at me.

"What else? Taking you to breakfast. You know, you're actually lighter than I thought you would be."

"What does that mean? Wait, no! That's not what I want to know, why are you carrying me?"

"You were just hurt. You think I'm going to let you walk by yourself?"

I rolled my eyes. If this was the treatment for a bumped head, I wondered what would happen if I had a scratch… "Cal, put me down. I'm not a baby. I'm perfectly fine."

"No you're not."

"God, I just bumped my head for crying out loud!" I exclaimed.

Cal still didn't listen, and I'll be damned. Lucia was helping him, holding my backpack as we walked to the cafeteria, but once we went in there, Cal stopped.

"What? What is it?" I asked.

"Um, I think the bell's gonna ring soon. We should just head to class." Lucia came to stand in front of me before I could turn around. The look on her face was a wobbly, forced smile. Her eyes said it all. The news was bad.

"Put me down, put me down!" I said, wriggling in Cal's arms. He let me go, and I pushed past Lucia, and stopped in my tracks.

My God.

Our usual hangout spot was completely…sabotaged. The seats were sliced, the yellow foam oozing from slashes. On the window that I had liked to look out into the garden, one word was spray-painted in inky, ugly black: LEAVE.

Of course, more pictures were scattered everywhere. Even some of my personal belongings lay ruined on the table top.

Great.

Just exactly what I needed.

"Oh what a lovely surprise!" I said in an over-brightly chipper voice. The whole cafeteria was quiet, and even though I didn't look, I knew each and every pair of eyes in this building were latched onto me.

I walked over to the seat. The spray can had been left on the table, and I grabbed it, climbing onto the table. I shook it, adding onto the message already written.

My message: I WILL NOT LEAVE.

When I stepped down, I made sure to let everyone read my words before speaking.

"I don't know who's doing this, but I'm pretty sure you're the same who nearly had me killed with those horses." Murmurs started going around, but I made sure my voice remained dominant. "I'm telling you now, you will not win. No matter what you do, it's useless. I. Will. Stay. Here."

The cafeteria went into an uproar, but I calmly walked away, Lucia on my left, Cal on my right as we walked to class.

Many of the people already in there had probably heard of it by now from mass messaging, and I could hear a few videos playing from people who had recorded me. Really, news traveled fast around here.

I made my way to my seat, with my head held high. Maybe a little too high because I tripped over someone's back pack. But I never fell, even if I couldn't get my footing. One arm wrapped around my waist, keeping me up. I took a breath in relief.

"Thanks Cal-" Except it wasn't Cal. I looked up into those very familiar odd-copper eyes. My heart clenched hard as I scampered away from him. That was too close for my comfort.

He didn't say anything, just looked at me seriously, then Cal and Lucia who were peeking over my shoulder before he turned and walked to his seat.

My heart was still beating hard from how close we had been as I made my way to my own seat. Cal, somewhere in the background said bye and left to his own homeroom. I waved back, occupied my with my thoughts.

Had he just saved me?

Why had he saved me?

I just wanted to know why…

So? What conclusion do you think Mary came up with?

And Jeremy seems to have become more cooler with his less-childish attitude. I think Nate likes it too, since he has to live with the guy.

Nate: Actually, his frustration is worse now...you know, with all that Mary went through.

Oh, so it's worse now? For you?

Nate: No, he doesn't throw stuff anymore...he just punches walls.

......Uhm...I know it's better for you, but...I'm kinda worried for Jeremy...

LOLZ.

Time for....Comments and votes! :D Please?