Chapter 18

A/N: Dedication is to @vampire_monster for her cover for my newest story "Spirited Away."

Here's the newest chapter. Enjoy and tell me what you think!

Chapter Eighteen

“That mustard is doing wonders for your complexion.”

I barely glanced  at Shane and didn’t even waste my energy on answering him. Not when I was a living mural for a kindergarten fingerpainting class; only instead of the paint, I was covered in food that paper towels were obviously not fierce enough to handle.

I could hear Jayden’s groans accompanied with the squeaking of the plastic covered back seat, and glanced at the rear view mirror to see him still rubbing his forehead. I bit back a grin as I saw the reddening evidence that either lunch ladies go to war when they knead dough, or the somebody switched the bread with rocks.

“Damn…” he muttered and I wriggled around in my seat, the plastic squeaking as I did.

“You oka-Ow!” I tried to look as empathetic as possible as his face hardened. “Wait, are those my teeth marks?” I laughed, reaching out to touch the imprints on his forehead. “No way! That’s so-” He swatted my hand away, the scowl on his face mirroring his thoughts.  

“The hell, Aisha?” Shane asked with a confused chuckle as I turned around and settled back into the seat.  I glanced at the mirror again, narrowing my eyes as Jayden’s eyes met mine.  Serves you right you thief. He’d been seriously testing my patience the entire day but he’d woken up a wolf when he stole the one thing that I, Aisha Pierce was not willing to give up.

A few hours before.

“Watch the crutches, buddy!” I exclaimed at the startled looking boy that had nearly tripped over them in the wide empty hallway.

“S-sorry,” he barely stuttered as he took off in the opposite direction.

“Why are you running? No running in the hallway!” I hollered after him. Seriously, if he cared about being late to class, then why the hell was he late? “Sheesh. I’m gone for one week and suddenly no one respects me anymore,” I muttered to myself as I continued towards my classroom. “How could he steal my title as captain and then ignore me like that?!”

The laughter of the class, snapped my focus back to my surroundings. I had already entered the classroom and all eyes were on me.

“Did I say that out loud?” More laughter.

“Ms. Pierce. Happy to have you back in class. Not so happy that you’re interrupting. Get to your seat.” Mrs. Philbert ordered.

I fought to keep my face straight. “There’s the reason I took my time getting here…” I thought as I forced a smile at the 6 foot tall woman watching me from over her glasses with her expression hard like the stuff they serve for bread here.

I stopped short as my eyes landed on my destination-  the same comfortable, out of the teacher’s way spot near the back window, now hogged by the new guy, who had also stolen my title as swim captain. I laughed humorlessly as I locked gazes with him. “You’re kidding me right.”

“Is there a problem Ms. Pierce?” came Mrs. Philbert.

“He’s in my seat."

“Oh yes, you weren’t here so I assigned Mr.Fox that seat. You can sit up here where it will be more convenient for you.”

She was pointing to the the desk directly in front of hers. You know the ones usually reserved for teachers pets. Except that Mrs. Philbert isn’t the kind of the teacher who needs a pet  since everyone sucks up to that over her glasses stare anyway.