Chapter 12

Chapter Twelve

You know those mornings when you wake up refreshed, energized and just ready to amaze the world?

Yeah, me neither.

I groaned loudly, yawned, and stretched, struggling with the bed sheets as I did, and cursing at the weight bearing down on my mid-section. Since when did that time of the month occur twice in the month?

“Morning Aisha,” came a husky voice next to my ear.

“Morning Shane.” I yawned again and turned my head before my eyes flew open in realization. “Shane!”

Surely enough the muscular, thankfully fully clothed torso pressed next to mine was the jerk’s. Before his twitching mouth could fully convert to a smirk, I had somersaulted on my bed, my butt landing painfully on the carpeted floor.

Definitely not a smart move.

I bit my lip to conceal the yelp of pain as I redirected my glare at the blond head leaning over the edge of my bed with bulging brown eyes.

“Shit! That looked painful. You okay?”

I narrowed my eyes at him. “What the hell are you doing in my room?!”

He easily swung his feet over my bed and bent down next to my ear where he whispered his next audacity. “Was last night too much for you to handle?” His wriggling eyebrows confirmed the suggestive tone of his voice, and for the sake of the bed sheets that I was going to dive back into as soon as I kicked his perverted ass out, I didn’t puke.

“Yeah freaking right.” I snorted as I roughly pushed him away and attempted to stand, only to be shot down by a sharp pain in my ankle. “Ow!”

Shane rushed to steady me and grabbed my arm. “You’re forgetting that you’re hurt…”

“I can manage myself!” I exclaimed, pulling my arm away and quickly elbowing him, only to lurch forward as a sharp pain shot through my palpitating ankle.

He caught my by the waist and steadied me. “Let me help you- you stubborn girl!”

“I’m stubborn?” I frowned at him with narrowed eyes as I muttered, “Talk about a pot telling a kettle it has a black bottom!”

“What the hell are you saying?” He put a hand to my forehead, “Are you delirious too?”

“Don’t touch me!” I yelled as I elbowed him in the mid-section, and watched with folded arms as he doubled over from the impact.

“Di ou gweh huh to gwa op?”

Darren, still with his toothbrush in his toothpaste covered mouth had stuck his head into my bedroom. He did a double take at the sight before him before rushing in next to the writhing Shane and pulled the toothbrush from his mouth.

“Shane! What the heck did you do Aisha?!”

“Hey, I’m the one who was violated here!” I defended. “I woke up to find the creep in my bed! Now if that doesn’t spell desperate I don’t know what does.”

“I’m telling you, it’s like this every morning with her. Time of the month or not.” Darren was still kneeling beside Shane as he attempted to get up, both acting like if I wasn’t even here.

Had he even been listening to me?

“Ugh! Get out of my room!” I just about exploded as Darren helped Shane to his feet.

“Hey cool down pea-brain!” He pointed his toothbrush at me. “Shane’s just here to make sure you’re not late for school!”

I stared past Darren to the clock hanging above my desk and my eyes widened as I read the time. “7:45! Why the hell didn’t someone wake me up sooner?”

“I’m feeling pretty good this morning, so I’ll allow you five minutes.”

I raised a brow at Shane and his arrogance. What the heck did he mean by that? “Allow me five minutes?”

“Just get your ass down in four minutes so that we’re not late for school. Mondays are lousy enough as is.”

“ Psh- You’ve got your head on backwards if you think that I’ll go to school with you Shane. I have my ride!” I lifted my chin in a show of my own arrogance. What had possessed him to believe that I wanted his ride anyway? Did he feel guilty about my ankle or something?

I chuckled. Good. Let him feel that way.

“Actually, mom left this morning for the airport!” Darren sounded quite pleased for an ego crusher, and I could feel my eye twitching as I gasped.

“And dad?”

“He couldn’t make it so he asked me to fill in.” Shane was glowing in cockiness as he smirked. “Since I’ve got my head on backwards, why don’t you take your car to school?” He feigned remembrance. “Oh wait, that’s right. You don’t have a car or a license!”

I slowly drew in a breath to calm the explosives going off in my head.

“You have three minutes!”

“The hell- you said five!”

“Two!”

“What kind of person gets showered and changed in two minutes idiot?!”

The morning was off to an unusually bad start, and I didn’t expect the car ride to be any better. But after we dropped off Darren, Shane stayed unusually quiet. For a moment, I’d even thought that maybe he’d even fallen asleep at the staring wheel, but at the same moment he’d invented a whole new vocabulary after avoiding our demise with a reckless driver by inches.

“You okay?” he asked, turning to me with worry in his eyes that turned to surprise as he caught sight of my upturned lips. “You’re laughing?”

Of course that made me chuckle harder. “What part of this is funny?!”

I managed to hold in the itching laughter. “Oh nothing.”

“You’re weird as f*** you know that,” he mumbled, running a hand through his hair.

“What?” I spat, looking at him warningly.

“You’re a weird or bipolar or something. We come this close to death and you laugh to its face. And you sprained your ankle over a cell phone.” He glanced at me and I froze as I saw analytical look in his eyes. “Don’t tell me….” I held my breath.

There was no way he’d seen my Wattpad account right?

“…you were watching porn!”

I erupted into a fit of coughs. I was totally safe since his one track mind couldn’t see what was in front of him.As I leaned back into the seat in relief, Shane turned to me.

“Don’t get too comfortable. We’re here.”

I began unbuckling my seatbelt as Shane drove into the parking lot. The place was basically crammed since we were late. Shane began towards the only open spot in sight, and sped forward to pull into the spot, nearly colliding with another truck. The driver had slammed on the brakes to avoid the collision, and Shane’s sudden acceleration had made me lurch forward, hitting my forehead on the dash.

My groan of pain was drowned by Shane’s jeer of “You snooze, you lose dude!”

“F*** Shane! That hurt!” I exclaimed.

“And that’s why we always wear our seat belt until the car has stopped,” he said as he unbuckled his own, throwing a smirk my way. “Then again, I guess that explains why you failed driver’s ed.”

“Look,” I said narrowing my eyes at him, “I didn’t fail driver’s ed. That bald idiot was being a bigger bitch than his crappy car! And hey, its not my fault that I had a sudden memory loss and forgot to park the car properly, or that the river was convenientl-I mean was close to where I parked it!”

Shane chuckled as he got out of the car. “I definitely don’t want to get on your bad side!”

I snorted. If only he knew…