Chapter 17

A/N: Hi folks! I know its been a while and I'm sorry. Enjoy the chapter first then read the A/N at the end. The Dedication is to @CherryBangel for the awesome new cover! 

Chapter Seventeen

I clutched my seat to steady myself, as Alexa’s jalopy jerked to a screeching, sputtering halt. She drummed her fingers impatiently on the steering wheel, muttering “Come on” as she craned her neck up to see the traffic lights.

I shook my head in disbelief. “Are you kidding me Alexa?!” I exclaimed,” You could have made it before those lights changed!” In fact, if she didn’t drive like a half dead hag with Parkinsons, we could’ve made it to school already. I pursed my lips to keep from voicing my thoughts since she was, after all, doing me a favor. 

“Listen, my baby likes to take it easy on the road. She’s fragile,” Alexa responded, patting the dash affectionately, and I rolled my eyes. “Plus doesn’t it feel good to just enjoy the early morning unpolluted air?” She shoved her hand out as she drove off, at snail speed.

I forced a smile as I turned away and rested my hand on the window, inwardly cursing my father and the day he got tangled up in Bethany Mason’s spell, and sentencing me to cross paths with the bane of my existence. It’s not that the thought of making Shane my personal chauffeur didn’t thrill me. Because trust me when I say that nothing would satisfy me more than to wake him up at at 3:00 to drive me to 4:30 AM practices. But there was only so much idiocy I could handle in my life. And after Shane’s latest stunt, I didn’t think I could trust myself to ignore the part of me calling for his blood.

Half an antagonizing hour later, Alexa had managed to get the jalopy to crawl into the parking lot, and I found myself surrounded by pitying teenagers in speedos and one piece bathing suits. Like always, there were stupid questions, pitying pouts and did I mention stupid questions?

“Alright, break it up guys!” Coach bellowed, twirling the whistle in her hands. “Warm ups,  now!” With that, she blew hard on the whistle, sending the swimmers diving into the water faster than you could say, “Go team!” She turned to me matter-of-factly, “You know the rules Pierce. No spectators unless we’re competing!”

I shifted my weight on my crutches, trying to keep my face straight. Spectator? Could she really not see how devout of a team leader I was being by showing up at this god forsaken hour?! And I couldn’t even get near the water! I scowled inwardly. The covers on my bed had fought with me to remain under them. It had been a hell of a struggle, but eventually my mom had won when she pulled them away, threatening to hurt my already damaged leg.

“Well, I suppose just for today, I’ll let this slide,” she said as if she was doing me some huge favor. I rolled my eyes and without bothering to thank her for her ‘generosity,’ I hobbled towards the bleachers and pulled out my phone.

2 new messages.

MontyMason: Yay school!

MontyMason:   …  said no one ever  -_-

With a chuckle, I reached for the gatorade bottle next to me and took a small sip as my fingers quickly typed in my reply.