Chapter 8

Violets POV

Hot tears streamed down my cheeks as I sat at the dinner table with my family. "I don't want it" I said pushing my plate away in annoyance. "What is with you lately, it's just food Violet." My mother barked at me, wine glass clutched tightly in her hand. "I already told you my stomach hurts" I replied clutching my sides, putting up the best act I could. Belch sat quietly at the other end of the table poking at his chicken not knowing how to respond to the situation. "Oh give me a break, when does it not hurt" she scoffed, shoving my plate back in my direction.

"Daddy please don't make me" I begged as sobs racked through me. "Just calm down Vi" he said reaching out and rubbing my forearm with his thumb. There was a pause and he looked over at my mother, or more like scowled before looking back at me. "Go get ready for bed" he told me pulling my plate away. As soon as the words came out of his mouth I got up and sprinted up the stairs.

I listened as Mom and Dad bickered at the table before they silently ate there food. After they were done I heard belch make his way up the stairs and into his room closing the door behind him. My mother's heels clicked loudly as she made her way across the kitchen and into her bedroom, I knew she was going to take a bath, she always did that when one of us made her mad. She would lock herself in the bathroom and sit in there for hours. My dad let out a loud sigh and after a second I heard his office door close. This is how most nights went. An argument would breakout and we would all retreat to our own corners of the house to avoid one another, what a beautiful family we have.

After taking a shower and changing into my pajamas I made my way to Belchs room. I always checked on him when dinner went south, he may have seemed like a big mean guy to everyone else but he was actually really sweet. I knocked twice before entering to see him sitting on his bed staring at the ceiling. "Are you ok bubby?" I asked him, using the nickname I had called him since we were little. He only nodded. "I'm sorry," I said going to sit at the end of his bed. "It's my fault, I know you hate the arguing" I said picking at my fingers as guilt overtook my being.

He shook his head before sitting up. "They've been arguing like that for a long time Vi, it's not your fault" he replied running his hands through his hair in frustration. "But be honest with me, why won't you eat" he said, his eyes full of worry and concern. I stayed quiet trying to come up with some excuse. "I told you my stomach hurts a lot" I answered nervously. I couldn't tell him, I didn't want to upset him and I especially didnt want him to tell dad.

"I wanna know the real reason" he said giving me the 'I'm your big brother you can tell me anything' look. I shrugged, "sometimes I just don't feel like eating" was the only thing I could think to say. A sigh feel from Belchs lips and he stood up walking over to me. He sat next to me at the end of his bed and gave me a hug. I hugged him back but I could tell in that moment that he understood. "I love you vi" he said. "I love you too bubby"