20

NOAH AND I were both a bundle of nerves as we talked to each other over the phone

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

NOAH AND I were both a bundle of nerves as we talked to each other over the phone. 

"What should I even wear?" he asked for the upteempth time. "Should I wear a suit or something? Oh god, why does your mom and my grandma want to see me?" 

"Relax, Noah. It's going to be fine," I voiced what I hoped but my words sounded empty to even myself. Truthfully, anything with me and my potential love interests in the equation had never gone okay. Like ever. In my life. 

It was a travesty. I had been born with a curse. 

"You do not comfort me, Aliyah. Just tell me what to wear. All my neat wardrobe is out on my stupid bed," Noah rambled, breathing hard.m 

"Wear anything. Just be yourself. You are cute and charming," I said, slipping in compliments because he was too busy to notice them right now. 

"Be myself? What kind of garbage advice is that?" he said, quoting brooklyn nine nine to  e and I rolled my eyes. 

"Yeah, you can quote shows at my house. My family loves all sitcoms." 

"Finally, something good. Now I am going to hang up on you and call Jay. He seems like my best shot right now," Noah said and I laughed 

"Yeah, I forgot about him. He is going to be at the dinner. Did I mention that?" I said as I laid down on the floor on my stomach. My body was acting up and laying down on the floor helped me calm down. It was weirdly relaxing. 

"Okay, I'll be there by seven. Do you think I can meet you outside of your house so you can calm me down if I start freaking out? I think it'll help you know." 

"Maybe I could offer you a kiss or two, if that would help," I half-joked and he laughed. The tension immediately dissipated and I felt myself breathing a little easier because we were both laughing. It felt good to joke around with him and I figured that this boy was someone I could not not have in my life. 

If we could make each other laugh in such anxious moments, we would be okay, wouldn't we? 

"Bye. Dress up nicely," I said and hung on up him because I sensed his favorite question for the evening. 

And boy, Noah did dress up well. He wore his usual sweaters but he had traded his sweatpants for skin tight jeans. Even his muffler was in a different kind of knot today and I could see the efforts he had put into his hair. He had styled them to a side. They weren't slicked back but not messy in an untidy way. 

They looked nice enough to give him the boyish look and make him even more charming. 

"You clean up, well," I said as I walked towards him on the sidewalk. He shot me a smile and even though he was at least seven feet away, that smile made me feel mushy on the inside.