14

“I DON’T WANT TO go home," I said, mildly whining but groaning all the same

I DON’T WANT TO go home," I said, mildly whining but groaning all the same. Noah had packed the rest of the cake--minus two slices that he saved for himself--for me in a Tupperware container. 

"So don't go," he said simply. There was a quarter of sincerity in his voice. A few minutes ago, I couldn't believe he had been a hairsbreadth away and I hadn't kissed him. I didn't understand why I didn't do it but something about Noah made my palms clammy. With every other person either it had been hooking up directly or never getting past the first date stage. 

Things with Noah had been slow but steady. I had never swum in these waters and while they were very tempting, they were just as terrifying. I wanted to stay in the sanctity that I had created for myself. 

But at the same time, they had been quite fast. I had only known him a short time.

"But I need to go," I countered. 

"Why don't you want to go?" he asked, his smile not slipping off his face. I ignored the way it made me feel, all mushy and butterfly-ish inside. 

"Because I'll have to walk so much. I think I have already walked enough for today." 

"You don't have a car or you chose to walk here?" he questioned curiously as he cradled his chin in his palms. 

"I choose to walk. Everybody should make this choice and honestly, I hate it when people use a vehicle for walkable distances. It's like, nobody is aware of climate change," I cribbed but I stopped myself from launching into a full-blown rant. It was a topic that frustrated to me to no ends but I didn't want to spoil my mood nor his. 

"Let me give you a ride home," he offered and I gave him a flat look. 

"That defeats the whole purpose of walking here, Noah." 

"Aliyah, let me drop you home on a bicycle. That doesn't undermine your efforts of walking here, does it?" he asked softly, making me melt. 

Get yourself a man that is willing to ride a bicycle for you for over two miles.

"That works. You do know how to ride a bicycle, don't you? Because I have always seen you walk to the cafe," I said. I realized that Noah's house was a long distance from West Point and yet, he always walked. Never had I ever seen him on a bike or in a car. It was amazing to notice this because his house was quite a walk. 

It made a question bubble up within me that I didn't hesitate to spit out. 

"Why did you choose to work in West Point? I mean, I saw some really nice cafes and other shops here. Why not work there?"