12

I DID NOT ENJOY walking

I DID NOT ENJOY walking. People who walked or jogged for the fun of it always seemed strange to me because walking was anything but. I could deal with exercises, it was the reason I had joined taekwondo two years ago, but the thought of walking made me feel tired.

Even then, I always chose walking over taking a car. It was the least I could do for the planet so I trudged a one and a half mile to Noah's house. I wouldn't say it was worth it but it was. Noah's house was beautiful from the outside and I couldn't wait to go inside and take a large gulp of water. While I always carried my bottle to anything over half a mile, I had forgotten to bring on today.

I rang the doorbell and a few seconds later, a voice that I recognized as Noah's said in the speaker, "Hello. Who's there?"

"Hey," I greeted but my voice sounded throaty. It showed how parched my throat was. "It's me, Noah. Aliyah West."

"Coming," he enthused, making me smile and the door swung open a few seconds later to reveal Noah. He had his usual bed head hair that made him look fine as hell. He pushed them away from his face as if sensing my gaze on his hair. "Hello," he said with a small smile over his lips.

"Hi," I replied, my smile mirroring his.

"Come inside," he said and I followed him. His hand slipped into mine easily as he tugged me along. While he didn't seem to make a big deal out of it, I felt like it was. But even so, I was not going to complain. His palm was only slightly bigger than mine and his hand felt warm in ways that made my stomach flip flop. 

We entered his house after he pushed open the door. Noah's house was sleek, modern and beautifully designed. We climbed four steps to enter the living area and I admired the marbled floor. After kicking off our shoes, I was quick to enter the open spaced kitchen and break free from his grasp. While a part of me didn't want to let go of his hand, I really wanted to drink water.

Right now, that thirst outweighed my thirst for Noah.

"Please give me a glass of water," I said immediately and he was quick to chuckle. He washed his hands before he grabbed a glass. He filled it from the tap and I followed his suit in washing my hands.

"I was just about to offer you water but well," he said amusedly as he handed me my glass of water. I took it and drank it eagerly.

"More please?" I said, holding it out and he refilled my glass. "I forgot my bottle at home."

I drank three glasses of water to quelch my thirst.

"Why are you so dehydrated, anyways?" he questioned and it wasn't a mean question. Just curious.

"Because I walked all the way from my house to yours," I said as I moved towards the couch. After plopping down, I massaged my feet. While it wasn't that I had walked very much today to make my feet hurt, my shoes have been uncomfortable. Eve had stolen and ruined my nice pair of shoes. “Better than taking a car.”