11

MOM WAS ALL ABOUT interviewing Noah

She said that she needed to talk to the boy as she asked him to follow her into her office upstairs. My nerves shot up because I was suddenly aware that the guy I liked was meeting mom. I thought about what could be the outcomes of the said situation. Either my mom would end up loving Noah or she would hate them. Mom was a little bit of an extremist so I was panicking what would happen if she hated Noah.

The possibility was slim but mom was known for how selective she was.

The thought had me jittery and my focus dwindled. I nearly snapped at a customer and I was thankful mom wasn't around because if she was, she would definitely disapprove. All my hard work would go down the drain, which was hardly the thing that I needed right now. 

I made a bill of three chocolate pastries and two milkshakes, handing out the faxed bill to the waiting customer with an apologetic smile. Thankfully, the customer didn't snap back at me and was kind enough to slide a dollar bill as a tip.

"Hello again," a smooth voice whispered, all too near my ear. It made me feel weak in my knees and I supported myself by placing a hand on the counter. I turned around to face the source of the voice. Noah had stepped back already so he wouldn't be invading my privacy and I smiled at that. It made my heart thud a little quickly in my chest, making blood rush to my cheeks.

"The meet-greet went well, then?" I asked rhetorically and his toothy grin was enough to answer my question.

"Veryyyy," he drawled as he leaned all his weight over one of his feet. He was tying his apron as he said so and my eyes were drawn to how his muscles flexed when he tied the knot. "My shift starts now, okay?"

"Aye, aye, captain," I mock-saluted, copying what he did a few days ago. His grin widened as he watched me with pride. The twinkle in his eyes made me feel something warm like my stomach was set to preheat. "I got you covered. Although, I gotta ask, what did my mom even ask you?"

He smirked as he started walking away from me. "Well, that's something I'll never tell."

"Hey, no more free cookies from now on, then," I tried to blackmail him and my voice sounded whiny to myself as I did so. He only laughed in response, sharing a quick high five with Sarah as he walked away from me. They both seemed to laugh at me and I scowled. This was not how I expected the talk to go. Why was I not privy to the conversation mom and Noah had? And I wasn't even a part of the inside jokes anymore.

"I think your mom loves me enough now to grant me all the free cookies," he teased airily and I pulled a face. While I was not that much of a curious person that it would kill me, I felt like if I didn't get to know what they talked about, I might die. It was a little dramatic but it certainly felt so.