04

(to Sxboor for being the biggest supporter

(to Sxboor for being the biggest supporter. i love you.)

I DON’T TALK TO you for one day and so much happens. What the fuck is your life, baccha? One second you have no tea to spill and now you have so much to tell me?” Jay asked amusedly over the phone as I walked to West Point. 

“Geez, way to make me feel great about my life, Jay. Thank you so much,” I replied in a mocking tone and he laughed at the other end. 

I stuffed my hands deep inside the pockets of my trench coat as the cold nipped at my face. The wind blowing today was harsh and I envied Jay, who was snuggling in his bed as he watched reruns of Brooklyn Nine Nine. In an hour, he would be going to sleep while the morning rush--my work--would start from then. 

A huge part of me craved to go back to the simple lifestyle. 

I just wished mom would return soon. This was not how I was supposed to be spending my numbered days before I went off to university. If my cousin, Darbie, was any embodiment of a uni student, I knew that it wasn’t as fun as movies made it out to be. No, it absolutely kicked your ass and I wanted to wait before things like that started with me. Instead, I had willingly signed up to get my ass kicked by West Point. 

Fourth day and I was still struggling to adjust to the hectic schedule. 

On top of that, Noah was late by ten minutes. I had noted, of course, I had. And to say I was less than impressed would be an understatement. My day was turning out to be shitty and then he had to be late on his first day at work. 

An old man had just yelled at me because he had knocked into one of our employees, making them spill coffee all over the place and over his very expensive shoes. He had the audacity to tell me that our services were not up to the mark and that I should have fired Nina on the spot (not that I had any authority to). It was outrageous how self entitled he was. I had just silently seethed in fury as he paraded around, telling his story to anyone who cared to listen. 

Nina had looked at me with fear in her eyes. They were terrified and all I could offer them was a small smile that I hoped was comforting. 

So, no, my day was not going well and Noah wasn’t making it any better. 

When the bell chimed and I saw him enter, I turned to him with my hands on my hips. I was prepared to yell at him but the words kind of just died in my throat. My scowl, however, stayed intact. 

Noah’s hair was drenched and water drops slid down his face. He had traded his usual sweaters of a sweatshirt today that he had kept unzipped. Inside he was wearing a tight fitting t-shirt that allowed my eyes to trace he lines of his abs. He still had his muffler around his though.