▬ LA PUSH

TARYN SUCKED AT TELEPHONE CONVERSATIONS

    TARYN SUCKED AT TELEPHONE CONVERSATIONS. She was often awkward during phone calls, never knowing what to say to keep the conversation rolling. But, one person who was an expert at keeping Taryn active over the phone, was her closest friend. Embry Call.

    Embry and Taryn met the first time Taryn had ever entered the place that her elder brother's husband worked. The police station. While Chase was on the phone, Taryn walked around his desk, messing with his office supplies. When suddenly, two rowdy teen boys busted out of the chief's office, laughing boisterously. 

    Taryn could tell they were from the nearby reservation. Both the boys' hair was long and black, their skin russet. They were beautiful. As soon as they noticed her presence, they glanced at each other and approached. 

    The first to introduce himself was a boy called Jacob Black. He was from La Push. The second was a cuter looking boy by the name of Embry Call. They'd known who she was for a few weeks.. One thing about that area in Washington was that it was underpopulated compared to the rest. A new person in the community was easily heard of, especially by their age group. The boys were around 15, Taryn being 14 until the month of May. 

    They easily struck up a conversation. Once they realized that Taryn was cool, they exchanged landline phone numbers with her, in order to keep here around. It was rare that you found a cool person to hang out with, especially in an area as small as La Push and Forks. 

    Taryn quickly became an every day part of their lives, showing up in La Push to hang out with them at their homes and around the beach. 

    More so Embry. Embry understood how it felt to be lacking a parent.. Although he couldn't understand lacking both, he was still a refreshing presence. He never knew his father.. He didn't even know the man's name. So, he understood Taryn better than anyone else there did. This led to him having the closest relationship with her. 

    Embry Call became her rock.. And the same went for Taryn Lemming. 

     Today, Taryn mindlessly chomped on some baby carrots in her brother's kitchen, when the phone suddenly rang.

    Rolling her eyes and half expecting it to be an elderly relative, checking on her and her older brother or calling to see how Taryn's school was going, she begrudgingly answered the phone. But, to her surprise, it was Embry. 

    ❝Tare! It's about time you answered, I called like four times.❞ He spoke teasingly. 

     Taryn chuckled, sealing the bag of baby carrots and tossing them back into the fridge, leaning the phone on her shoulder. ❝Why did you call before school ended?❞ She asked, furrowing her eyebrows. 

    ❝I dunno, I just assumed you skipped last period. You do that most times.❞ Embry snorted, his tone revealing the fact that he thought it would be obvious why he had been calling. He was right, though. Taryn wasn't opposed to jumping the gun for leaving school, not wanting to sit through Biology.