1% my fatness keeps me warm

"You're fat."

The pickup line sounded better in his head.

Her midnight hair swayed and her dark eyes glared. "Did you just call me fat?"

"The pretty kind of fat." The tightening of his throat was identical to the grip around his hot cocoa.

"So I'm pretty fat now?"

His unconscious ripped past the finish line. "Yes." Her registered words shortly followed last. "Well, no. You're pretty...fat. Pretty and fat." His erratic thoughts, muddled brain, racing heart and the sight of her rosy cheeked face suddenly mushed into this puddle of glop.

Snatching the tea from the cashier's hand, she shot him down with an angry look.

But one look into her mesmerizing gaze had him bouncing back. "I like fat girls," he said.

Her wedged boots thumped away.

He shouted across the cafe, "Smart bears grow fat for the winter so they can absorb heat!"

"I'm not a fucking sponge!"

"You're a cute fucking sponge," he mumbled through the rim of his cup.

Wow.  Your lines are so smooth, I'd wipe my ass with it.  

The boy's heart leaped out of his chest at the sudden voice in his head.  "What?  Who are you?" 

He frantically twisted his head around, but found no one close enough that'd talk to him. 

No one you should be worried about.  Ignore me.  Go after the girl.  

His frown deepened across his face.  "I must be losing my mind."  He picked his jacket off the booth and hurried after the girl, stumbling on his way out.